- ¶ NOW the whole earth spoke one language and with one manner of speech.
- And it came to pass, as men journeyed from the east, they found a plain in the land of Sinar;
and they settled there.
- And they said one to another, Come, let us make bricks and burn them with fire.
And they had bricks for stone, and slime for mortar.
- Then they said, Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top may reach to heaven;
and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
- ¶ And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower which men were building.
- And the LORD said, Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language;
and they have reasoned to do this thing;
and now nothing will prevent them from doing that which they have imagined to do.
- Come, let us go down, and there divide their language so that they may not understand one another’s speech.
- So the LORD scattered them abroad from there upon the face of all the earth;
and they ceased from building the city.
- Therefore they called the name of it Babel;
because it was there that the LORD confounded the language of all the earth;
and from there the LORD scattered them upon the face of all the earth.
- ¶ These are the descendants of Shem: Shem was a hundred years old, and begot Arphakhashar, two years after the flood;
- And Shem lived after he begot Arphakhashar five hundred years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Arphakhashar lived thirty-five years, and begot Shalah;
- And Arphakhashar lived after he begot Shalah four hundred and three years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Shalah lived thirty years, and begot Eber;
- And Shalah lived after he begot Eber four hundred and three years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Eber lived thirty-four years, and begot Peleg:
- And Eber lived after he begot Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Peleg lived thirty years, and begot Rau;
- And Peleg lived after he begot Rau two hundred and nine years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Rau lived thirty-two years, and begot Serug;
- And Rau lived after he begot Serug two hundred and seven years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Serug lived thirty years, and begot Nahor;
- And Serug lived after he begot Nahor two hundred years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Nahor lived twenty-nine years, and begot Terah;
- And Nahor lived after he begot Terah one hundred and nineteen years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Terah lived seventy-five years, and begot Abram, manor, and Haran.
- ¶ Now these are the descendants of Terah: Terah begot Abram, Nahor, and Haran;
and Haran begot Lot.
- And Haran died before his father Terah in his native land, in Ur of the Chaldeans.
- And Abram and Nahor took wives for themselves;
the name of Abram’s wife was Sarai;
and the name of Nahor’s wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah and Iscah.
- But Sarai was barren;
she had no child.
- And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran, his grandson, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram’s wife;
and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to the land of Canaan: and they came as far as Haran, and they settled there.
- And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years;
and Terah died in Haran.