- ¶ AND Abram went up from Egypt, e and his wife and all that he had, and Lot with him, into the south.
- And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold.
- And he went on his journey from the south as far as Beth-el, to the place where he had pitched his tent at first, between Beth-el and Ai;
- To the place of the altar which he had built there at the first;
and there Abram had called upon the name of the LORD.
- ¶ And Lot also, who went with Abram, had large flocks, herds, and tents.
- And the land was not able to support them, that they might dwell together;
for their herds were so large that they could not dwell together.
- And there was a strife between the herdsmen of Abram’s cattle and the herdsmen of Lot’s cattle;
and the Canaanites and the Perizzites dwelt then in the land.
- And Abram said to Lot, Let there be no strife between me and you, and between my shepherds and your shepherds;
for we are brethren.
- Behold the whole land is before you, separate yourself from me;
if you choose the left hand, then I will choose the right hand;
or if you depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.
- ¶ And Lot lifted up his eyes, and saw all the land of Jordan, that it was well watered everywhere, before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, like the garden of God, like the land of Egypt at the entrance of Zoan.
- Then Lot chose for himself all the land of Jordan;
and Lot journeyed east;
thus they separated one brother from the other.
- Abram dwelt in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelt in the villages of the plain, thus possessing the land as far as Sodom.
- Now the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners in the presence of the LORD exceedingly.
- ¶ And the LORD said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him, Lift up now your eyes, and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward;
- For all the land which you see, to you will I give it, and to your descendants forever.
- And I will make your descendants like the dust of the earth;
so that if you can number the dust of the earth, then shall your descendants also be numbered.
- Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it;
for I will give it to you.
- Then Abram removed his tent and came and dwelt by the oak of Mamre which is in Hebron, and built there an altar to the LORD