- ¶ WHEN Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him, and said to him, I am the Almighty God;
walk well before me, and be faultless.
- And I will make my covenant between me and you and will multiply you exceedingly.
- And Abram fell on his face;
and God talked with him, saying,
- ¶ As for me, behold, I am establishing my covenant with you, and you shall be a father of many peoples.
- Neither shall your name any more be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham;
for I have made you a father of many peoples.
- And I will make you fruitful, and multiply you exceedingly;
and I will make you father of many nations, and kings shall come out of your loins.
- ¶ And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, and I will be God to you and to your descendants after you.
- And I will give to you, and your descendants after you, the land in which you sojourn, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting inheritance;
and I will be their God.
- And God said to Abraham, You shall keep my covenant, you, and your descendants after you throughout their generations.
- This is my covenant, which you shall keep between me and you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised.
- And you shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin;
and it shall be a token of the covenant between me and you.
- And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every male throughout your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, who is not of your descendants.
- He that is born in your house, and he that is bought with your money, shall be circumcised;
and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
- And the uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people;
for he has broken my covenant.
- ¶ Then God said to Abraham, As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, for Sarah is her name.
- And I will bless her, and also I will give you a son by her;
yea, I will bless him and make nations of him;
and the kings of the people shall come from him.
- Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed and said in his heart, Shall a son be born to him who is a hundred years old?
Or shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?
- And Abraham said to God, O that Ishmael might live in thy presence!
- And God said to Abraham, Truly, Sarah your wife shall bear you a son;
and you shall call his name Isaac;
and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his descendants after him.
- And as for Ishmael, I have heard you;
behold, I have blessed him, and will multiply him, and will make him exceedingly great;
twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
- But I will establish my covenant with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you at this set time next year.
- And when God was through talking with him, he went up from Abraham.
- ¶ And Abraham took Ishmael his son and all of those that were born in his house and all of those that were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham’s household, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in that very day, as God had said unto him.
- And Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- In that very day was Abraham circumcised and Ishmael his son
- And all the men of his household, both born in the house and bought with money.
He also circumcised some of the strangers with him.