- ¶ AND Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and settled between Rakim and Gadar, and Abraham sojourned in Gadar.
- And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister;
and Abimeleck king of Gadar sent and took Sarah.
- ¶ But God came to Abimeleck in a dream by night and said to him, Behold, you will die on account of the woman whom you have taken;
for she is another man’s wife.
- But Abimeleck had not touched her;
and he said, O LORD, wilt thou slay an innocent people?
- Behold, he said, She is my sister;
and she herself also said, He is my brother;
in the innocence of my heart and purity of my hands have I done this.
- And God said to him in a dream, Yea, I know that you have done this in the innocence of your heart;
for I also restrained you from sinning against me;
therefore I did not permit you to touch her.
- Now therefore restore the man’s wife, for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for you, and you shall live;
but if you do not restore her, then know that you will surely die, you, and all your family.
- ¶ Therefore Abimeleck rose early in the morning and called all of his servants and told them all these words;
and the men were exceedingly afraid.
- Then Abimeleck called Abraham and said to him, What have I done to you?
and what crime have I committed against you, that you have brought on me and on my kingdom such a great sin?
You have done to me things that ought not to be done.
- And Abimeleck said to Abraham, What induced you to do this thing?
- And Abraham said, Because I thought, perhaps there is no fear of God in this country;
and they will slay me for my wife’s sake.
- And yet truly she is my sister;
she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother;
and she became my wife.
- And it came to pass when God brought me forth out of my father’s house, I said to her, This is the favor which you shall do to me;
at every place whither we shall go, say of me, He is my brother.
- ¶ And Abimeleck took sheep and oxen and male and female servants and gave them to Abraham and restored to him Sarah his wife.
- Then Abimeleck said to Abraham, Behold, my land is before you;
dwell wherever you please.
- And to Sarah he said, Behold, I have given a thousand pieces of silver to your brother;
behold, it is given for you, because you have been humbled in the eyes of my people, and because of the other things for which I have reproved you.
- So Abraham prayed to God and God healed Abimeleck and his wife and his maidservants, and they bore children.
- For the LORD had fast closed up the wombs of all women in the household of Abimeleck because of Sarah, Abraham’s wife.