- ¶ THEN Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said to him, You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
- Arise, go to Padan-aram, to the house of Bethuel your mother’s father;
and take for yourself a wife from there of the daughters of Laban your mother’s brother.
- May God Almighty bless you and make you fruitful and multiply you, that you may become a multitude of peoples;
- And give the blessings of Abraham to you and to your descendants with you, that you may inherit the land in which you dwell, which God gave to Abraham.
- And Isaac sent away Jacob;
and he went to Padan-aram, to Laban, the son of Bethuel, the Aramean, the brother of Rebekah, Jacob’s and Esau’s mother.
- ¶ When Esau saw that Isaac had blessed his brother Jacob and sent him away to Padan-aram to take for himself a wife from there, and that as he blessed him, he charged him, saying, You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan;
- And Jacob obeyed his father and his mother, and went to Padan-aram;
- And Esau saw that Isaac his father despised the daughters of Canaan;
- Then Esau went to Ishmael, Abraham’s son, and took Bismath, the daughter of Ishmael, Abraham’s son, the sister of Nebioth, to be his wife, in addition to his other wives.
- ¶ And Jacob went out from Beersheba, on his way to Haran.
- And he arrived at a certain place, and spent the night there, because the sun was set;
and he took of the stones of the place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.
- And he dreamed, and behold a ladder was set upon the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven;
and behold the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.
- And, behold, the LORD stood above it and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham your father, and the God of Isaac;
the land whereon you are lying, I will give to you and to your descendants;
- And your descendants shall be as numerous as the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the east and to the west and to the north and to the south;
and in you and through your descendants shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
- And, behold, I am with you, and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land;
for I will not leave you until I have done the thing of which I have spoken to you.
- ¶ And Jacob awoke from his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place;
and I did not know it.
- And Jacob was exceedingly fearful, and he said, How sacred is this place today!
This is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
- And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone which he had put for his pillow, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil on the top of it.
- Then Jacob called the name of that place Beth-el (the house of God);
but at the first the name of that place was called Luz.
- And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me and will protect me in this way that I go, and will give me food to eat and clothing to wear
- So that I may return to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God;
- And this stone which I have set up for a pillar shall be God’s house and of all that thou shalt give me I will give the tenth to thee.