- ¶ AND Israel journeyed with all that he had, and came to Beer-sheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.
- And God spoke to Israel in a vision of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob.
And he said, Here am I.
- Then he said to him.
I am El, the God of your father;
fear not to go down to Egypt;
for I will there make of you a great people;
- I will go down with you into Egypt;
and I will also surely bring you up again;
and Joseph shall close your eyes when you die.
- ¶ And Jacob rose up from Beersheba;
and the sons of Israel carried Jacob their father, their little ones, and their wives in the wagons which Pharaoh had sent to carry him.
- And they took their cattle and their goods which they had gotten in the land of Canaan, and came into Egypt, Jacob and all his offspring with him;
- His sons and his grandsons, his daughters and his sons’ daughters, and all his offspring he brought with him into Egypt.
- And these are the names of the children of Israel, who came into Egypt, Jacob and his sons: Reuben, Jacob’s first-born.
- And the sons of Reuben: Hanoch, Pallu, Hezron, and Carmi.
- The sons of Simeon: Jemuel, Jamin, Ohar, Jachin, Zohar, and Shaul the son of a Canaanitish woman.
- The sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
- The sons of Judah: Er, Onan, Shelah, Pharez, and Zarah;
but Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan.
And the sons of Pharez were Hezron and Hamul.
- The sons of Issachar: Tola, Phuvah, Job, and Shimron.
- The sons of Zebulun: Seder, Elon, and Nahlael.
- These are the sons of Leah, whom she bore to Jacob in Padan-aram, together with his daughter Dinah;
the number of persons, his sons and his daughters being thirty-three in all.
- The sons of Gad: Ziphion, Haggi, Shuni, Ezbon, Adi, Arod, and Adri.
- And the sons of Asher: Jimnah, Ishuah, Isui, and Beriah, and Serah their sister;
and the sons of Beriah: Heber, and Malchiel.
- These are the sons of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to Leah his daughter, and these she bore to Jacob, sixteen persons.
- The sons of Rachel Jacob’s wife: Joseph, and Benjamin.
- And to Joseph in the land of Egypt were born Manasseh and Ephraim, whom Asiath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On bore to him.
- The sons of Benjamin: Belah, Akbar, Ashkel, Gera, Naaman, Ehi, Arosh, Muppim, Huppim, and Ard.
- These are the sons of Rachel, whom she bore to Jacob, fourteen persons in all.
- The son of Dan: Hushim.
- And the sons of Naphtali: Nahzael, Guni, Jezer, and Shillem.
- These are the sons of Bilhah, whom Laban gave to Rachel, his daughter, and she bore these to Jacob, seven persons in all.
- All the persons that came with Jacob into Egypt, who came out of his loins, besides Jacob’s sons’ wives, were sixty-six persons in all;
- And the sons of Joseph who were born to him in Egypt were two persons;
thus all the persons of the house of Jacob who came into Egypt were seventy.
- ¶ And he sent Judah before him to Joseph to present himself before him in Goshen;
and they came into the land of Goshen.
- And Joseph made ready his chariots, and went up to meet Israel his father in Goshen, and he presented himself to him, and fell on his neck, and wept on his neck for a while.
- And Israel said to Joseph, Now let me die, since I have seen your face, my son, because you are still alive.
- And Joseph said to his brothers and to his father’s household, I will go up and inform Pharaoh, and say to him, My brothers and my father’s household, who were in the land of Canaan, have come to me;
- And the men are shepherds, for they are cattle raisers;
and they have brought their flocks and their herds and all that they have.
- And it shall come to pass, when Pharaoh shall call you and shall say to you.
What is your occupation?
- You shall say to him, Your servants are cattle raisers from their youth even until now, both we and also our fathers;
that you may dwell in the land of Goshen;
for the Egyptians despise all those who feed sheep.