- ¶ NOW above all we have a high priest who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven;
- And he has become the minister of the sanctuary and of the true tabernacle which God pitched and not man.
- For every high priest is appointed to offer gifts and sacrifices, therefore it is necessary that this man have something to offer also.
- For if he were on earth, he would not be a priest, because there are priests who offer gifts according to the law,
- Who serve the semblance and shadow of heavenly things, just as it was commanded to Moses when he was about to make the tabernacle: See that you make all things according to the pattern showed to you in the mount.
- ¶ But now Jesus Christ has received a ministry which is greater than that;
just as the covenant in which he was made a mediator is greater, so are the promises greater than those given in the old covenant.
- For if the first covenant had been faultless, then there would have been no need for the second.
- For he found fault with them and said, Behold, the day is coming, says the Lord, when I will perfect a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah;
- Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand and led them out of the land of Egypt;
and because they abode not in my covenant, I rejected them, says the Lord.
- For this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law into their minds and I will write it on their hearts;
and I will be their God and they shall be my people.
- And no man shall teach his neighbor, neither his brother, saying, Know the Lord;
for all shall know me, from the youngest to the oldest.
- And I will forgive their wickedness and I will no longer remember their sins;
- For he has spoken of a new covenant;
the first one has become old, and that which is old and obsolete is near destruction.