- ¶ WHEN Israel was a child, then I loved him, and I called him, my son, out of Egypt.
- Just as they were called, so they went away from my presence;
they sacrificed to Baal and burned incense to idols.
- It was I who cared for Ephraim and took them up in my arms;
but they did not know that I healed them.
- I drew them with cords of a man, with the bands of love;
and I was to them as one who takes off the yoke from their neck, and I bent over them and fed them.
- They shall not return to the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be their king, because they refused to repent.
- The sword shall cause pain in their cities and consume their possessions, and they shall suffer because of their evil counsels.
- And my people are inclined to backslide from me;
though they shall call to God, they will take counsel together, and none at all would exalt him.
- ¶ How shall I uphold you, O Ephraim?
How shall I help you, O Israel?
How shall I make you as Adamah?
How shall I set you as Zeboim?
My heart is turned within me, my tender mercies are moved.
- I will not execute the fierceness of my anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim;
for I am God, and not man in the midst of you;
I am the Holy One, and I will not come to attack the city.
- They shall walk after the LORD;
he shall roar like a lion;
because he shall roar, some of the people shall tremble.
- They shall come fast like a bird out of Egypt, and like a dove out of the land of Assyria;
and I will bring them back to their dwelling place, says the LORD.
- Ephraim has compassed me about with lies, and the house of Israel and Judah with deceit;
until the people of God was humbled, a people once holy and faithful.