- ¶ EPHRAIM feeds on wind and follows after the tempest all the day long;
they have multiplied lies and prey;
they have made a covenant with the Assyrians, and oil is carried into Egypt.
- The LORD has a controversy with Judah, and will punish Jacob according to his ways;
and according to his devices will he recompense him.
- In the womb he deceived his brother, and by his might he became great in the presence of God;
- Yea, he prevailed over the angel, he made supplication to him;
he found him in Beth-el, and there he spoke with him.
- Even the LORD the God of hosts has remembered him.
- Therefore return to your God;
keep mercy and justice, and wait for your God continually.
- ¶ The balances of deceit are in the hand of Canaan, he loves to oppress.
- And Ephraim said, Yet I am become rich, I have found grief;
but all my labors will not be enough to rid me of the sin which I have sinned.
- I am the LORD your God who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
I will again make you to dwell in tents, as in the days of the solemn feasts.
- I have spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions and used similitudes by the ministry of the prophets.
- In Gilead you suffered pain, and in Gilgal you sacrificed bullocks to falsehood;
your altars are like dry stalks in a barren field.
- Jacob fled to the land of Aram, and Israel served for a wife, and for a wife he kept sheep.
- And by the prophets the LORD brought Israel out of Egypt, and by the prophets was he preserved.
- Ephraim provoked him to anger most bitterly;
therefore his blood shall come upon him, and his reproach shall his LORD return to him.