- ¶ LET your mouth become like a trumpet.
He shall come as an eagle against the house of the LORD, because they have transgressed my covenant and trespassed my law.
- They have called to me, saying, O our God, we know thee.
- Israel has forgotten the good;
the enemy has pursued him.
- They have set up kings, but not by me;
they have made princes, but they did not let me know;
of their silver and their gold they have made idols to themselves, that they may perish.
- They have been led astray by your calf, O Samaria;
my anger is kindled against them;
how long will it be before they can be declared innocent?
- For the idol is the product of Israel;
a carpenter made it, therefore it is not God;
but your calf, O Samaria, was made for deception.
- For they have sown the wind, and they have reaped the whirlwind;
it has no stalk, nor an ear to yield meal;
and if it were to yield, the strangers shall eat it.
- ¶ Israel is swallowed up;
now they are among the Gentiles as a vessel wherein is no use.
- For they are gone up to Assyria, as a wild ass alone by himself;
Ephraim has loved gifts.
- Though they shall be delivered up to the Gentiles, I will gather them, and they shall rest a while from the burden of the kings and the princes.
- Because Ephraim has made many altars to sin, altars have become to him for a great sin.
- I have written to him many of my laws, but my words he considered as a strange thing.
- They sacrifice the choicest of animals and eat the meat;
but the LORD has no delight in them;
now he will remember their iniquity and punish them for their sins;
they shall return to Egypt.
- For Israel has forgotten his Maker and built palaces;
and Judah has multiplied fortified cities: but I will kindle a fire in his cities, and it shall devour the palaces thereof.