- ¶ THE prophecy concerning the fall of Babylon, which Isaiah the son of Amoz saw.
- Lift up a banner on high mountains, raise the voice to them, wave the hand, that they may enter the gates of the princes.
- I have commanded my sanctified ones, I have called the mighty ones in my anger, even them that became strong with my excellency.
- The noise of tumult on the mountains, like as of many peoples;
a tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together;
the LORD of hosts is performing wonders.
- Warriors are coming from afar, and from the end of heaven, even the LORD and the weapons of his indignation, to destroy the whole land.
- ¶ Howl;
for the day of the LORD is at hand;
it shall come as a plunder which is made suddenly.
- Therefore shall all hands be faint, and every man’s heart shall melt;
- And they shall be afraid;
terror and pangs shall take hold of them;
they shall be in pain as a woman in travail;
they shall be amazed one at another;
their faces shall be as flames.
- Behold, the day of the LORD comes, which has no remedy, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to make the earth a desolation;
and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
- For the stars of heaven and their constellations shall not give their light;
the sun shall be darkened in its rising, and the moon shall not cause its light to shine.
- And I will punish the world for its evil, and the wicked for their iniquity;
and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will bring low the haughtiness of the mighty.
- I will make a man more precious than gold;
even a man than the gold of Ophir.
- Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall be moved out of its place, in the rebuke of the LORD of hosts, in the day of his fierce anger.
- And they shall be like gazelles when they flee, and like sheep that have no one to gather them;
every man shall turn to his own people, and every one flee to his own land.
- Every one that is found shall be thrust through;
and every one that escapes shall fall by the sword.
- Their children, shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes;
their houses shall be spoiled and their wives ravished.
- Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, who have no regard for silver, and have no delight in gold.
- The bows of young men shall be broken in pieces;
and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb;
their eyes shall not spare children.
- ¶ And Babylon, the glory of the kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldean’s excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
- It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation;
neither shall the Arabians encamp there;
neither shall the shepherds make their folds there.
- But wild beasts shall lie there;
and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures;
and ostriches shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.
- And the screech-owls shall cry in their palaces, and jackals in their pleasant temples;
its time is soon to come, and its days shall not be prolonged.