- ¶ THE prophecy concerning the fall of Moab.
Because in the night the city of Moab is plundered and brought to silence;
because in the night the defenses of Moab are despoiled and brought to silence;
- They have gone up to the house of Ribon, to the high places, to weep;
Moab shall howl over Nebo and over Medeba;
on all their heads shall be baldness, and every beard cut off.
- In their streets they shall gird themselves with sackcloth;
on the housetops and in their streets every one shall howl, weeping vehemently.
- Heshbon shall cry, and Elealeh;
their voice shall be heard as far as Jazoth;
therefore the armed soldiers of Moab shall cry out;
his soul shall howl for him.
- My heart shall cry out for Moab;
they shall howl as they flee to Zoar;
Moab was strong like a three year old heifer;
for by the ascent of Luhith they shall go up with weeping;
and in the way of Horonaim they shall raise up a cry of destruction.
- ¶ For the waters of Nimrim shall be desolate;
for the vegetation is withered away, and the green grass is dried up, there is no green thing.
- Therefore what was left is gone, and that which they have stored shall they carry away over the brook of willows.
- For the cry is gone round about the borders of Moab;
the howling thereof as far as Eglaim, and the howling thereof to Beer-elim.
- For the waters of Ribon are full of blood;
and I will bring more upon Ribon, and I will plot against those who escape of Moab, and against the remnant of the land.