- ¶ THE prophecy concerning the rest of the land.
I will send the son of the ruler of the land from the rock city of the wilderness, to the mount of the daughter of Zion.
- And he shall be like a bird that changes its nest, so the daughters of Moab shall be deserted at the fords of Arnon.
- Take counsel, execute judgment;
make your shadow as the night in the midst of the noonday;
hide the outcasts;
betray not him that wanders.
- Let the outcasts of Moab dwell with you;
be a shelter to them from the face of the spoiler;
for the destroyer is at an end, and the spoiler ceases, the oppressors are consumed out of the land.
- In mercy shall a throne be established, and he shall sit upon it, in truth in the tabernacle of David, a judge who seeks justice and hastens righteousness.
- ¶ We have heard of the majesty of Moab;
he is very proud, even of his haughtiness and his wrath;
his augurers so predict concerning him.
- Therefore shall Moab howl;
every one shall howl for Moab, for the foundations of the walls are destroyed;
surely they groan like the sick.
- For the fields of Heshbon languish, and the vine of Sibmah;
the mighty men of the nations have broken down the branches thereof, they are come as far as Jazer, they wandered through the wilderness;
its shoots spread out, they are gone over the sea.
- Therefore I will cause you to weep with the weeping of Jazer for the vine of Sibmah;
I will water you with your tears, O Heshbon, and Elealeh;
for an oppressor has come against your harvest and the gathering of your grapes.
- And gladness and joy are taken away out of the plentiful field;
and in the vineyards there shall be no rejoicing, neither shall there be shouting: nor shall they tread out wine in the press;
nor shall men tread out wine with their feet;
for I have made the vine treaders to cease.
- Therefore my heart shall lament like a harp for Moab, and my soul for the fortified walls which will be destroyed.
- And it shall come to pass, when it is seen that Moab is weary on the high places, that he shall come to the sanctuary to pray;
but he shall not prevail.
- This is the word that the LORD has spoken concerning Moab since that time.
- But now the LORD has spoken, saying, Within three years, as the years of a hireling, the glory of Moab shall be despised, with all that great multitude of his people;
and the remnant shall be very small and feeble.