- ¶ WOE to the land of shadowing wings which is beyond the rivers of Ethiopia;
- That sends ambassadors by the sea, even in vessels of papyrus upon the waters, saying, Go, you swift messengers, to a nation who will be plundered and uprooted, to a nation whose strength was within it hitherto;
to a people who will be dishonored and trodden down, whose land the rivers have ruined!
- All you inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, you shall see when the ensign shall be lifted up upon the mountains;
and when he blows a trumpet, you shall hear.
- For thus the LORD said to me: I will rest, and I will look from my dwelling place as midday heat upon the river and as a cloud of dew in the day of harvest.
- For before the harvest, when the bud has perished and the grape is ripening in the flower, he shall both cut off the lean shoots with pruning hooks and take away and shake off the branches.
- They shall be left together to the fowls of the mountains and to the beasts of the earth;
and the birds shall gather upon them, and all the wild beasts of the earth, shall devour them.
- At that time presents shall be brought to the LORD of hosts from a people plundered and uprooted, whose strength was within him hitherto;
from a people dishonored and trodden under foot, whose land the rivers have spoiled, to the place of the name of the LORD of hosts, even to mount Zion.