- ¶ IN the year that Tartan came to Ashdod (when Sargon the king of Assyria sent him) and fought against Ashdod and took it,
- At that time the LORD spoke by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, Go and loose the sackcloth from off your loins and put off your shoes from your feet.
And he did so, walking naked and barefoot.
- And the Lord said, As my servant Isaiah has walked naked and barefoot, so shall there be signs and wonders for three years upon Egypt and upon Ethiopia;
- So shall the king of Assyria lead away the Egyptians prisoners, and the Ethiopians captives, young and old, naked and barefoot, with their buttocks uncovered, to the shame of Egypt.
- And they shall be defeated and ashamed of Ethiopia their trust, and of Egypt their glory.
- And the inhabitants of this isle shall say on that day, Behold, here is our trust, to whom we fled for help to be delivered from the king of Assyria;
and how shall we escape?