- ¶ IN that day shall this song be sung in the land of Judah: O city whose salvation has prevailed, build the walls and the bulwarks;
- Open the gates, that the righteous peoples who keep faith and that the truth may enter in.
- Thou wilt keep us in perfect peace, for in thee we have trusted, O LORD, for ever and ever.
- For the LORD God is an everlasting strength;
- ¶ He brings down those that dwell on high;
the lofty city, he shall lay it low, even to the ground;
he brings it even to the dust.
- The foot shall tread it down, even the feet of the poor and the steps of the needy.
- The way of the humble is straight;
the path of the righteous is straight and level.
- Yea, in the way of thy judgments, O LORD, have we waited for thee;
the desire of our soul is for thy name, and to remembrance of thee.
- My soul has desired thee in the night;
yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early;
for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.
- The wicked has gone far off that he may not learn righteousness;
chastisement in the land brings correction;
the wicked shall not behold the majesty of the LORD.
- O LORD, when thy hand is lifted up, they will not see;
but they shall see and be ashamed for the zeal of the people;
yea, let the fire of the oven devour thine enemies.
- ¶ O LORD, thou wilt give us peace;
for thou also hast wrought all our works for us.
- O LORD our God, other lords besides thee have had dominion over us;
but thy name alone will we mention;
- For they do not raise the dead, they do not raise the mighty men;
therefore thou hast visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.
- Thou hast increased the nation, O LORD, thou hast increased the nation;
thou hast removed it afar and scattered it to all the ends of the earth.
- O LORD, in distress have they sought thee, and in siege they muttered the incantation invoking thy discipline.
- Like a woman with child, who draws near the time of her delivery, and is in pain, and cries out in her pangs;
so have we been in thy sight, O LORD.
- We have been with child, we have been in pain like those who brought forth wind;
save us lest we perish in the earth, lest the inhabitants of the world come to an end.
- Thy dead men shall live, their dead bodies shall arise.
Those who dwell in the dust shall awake and sing, for thy dew is a dew of light, and the land of the giants thou shalt overthrow.
- ¶ Come, my people, enter into your chambers and shut your doors behind you;
hide yourselves as it were for a little time, until my indignation has passed away.
- For, behold, the LORD is coming out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity;
and the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain.