- ¶ FOR, behold, the LORD of hosts does take away from Jerusalem and from Judah the stay and the staff, the whole stay of bread, and the whole stay of water,
- The mighty man and the man of war, the judge and the prophet and the diviner and the elder,
- The captain of fifty and the honorable man and the counsellor and the skilful carpenter and the expert counsellor.
- And I will appoint young men to be their princes, and mockers shall rule over them.
- And the people shall oppress one another, every one his neighbor;
and the young men shall provoke the elders, and the base men the honorable.
- When a man shall take hold of his brother in the house of his father, and say to him, You have clothing, be our ruler, and govern this ruin;
- In that day he shall answer, and say, I will not be a leader;
for in my house is neither bread nor clothing;
make me not a ruler over the people.
- For Jerusalem has stumbled, and Judah has fallen;
because their tongue and their doings are against the LORD, provoking God in the majesty of his glory.
- ¶ Their hypocrisy witnesses against them;
and they declare their sins like Sodom, they do not hide them.
Woe to their soul!
for they have wrought evil to themselves.
- Say to the righteous that it shall be well with them;
for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.
- Woe to the wicked!
it shall be ill with him, for the reward of his hands shall be given him.
- The princes shall pluck my people out, and women shall rule over them.
O my people, your leaders have caused you to err, and disturbed the way of your paths.
- The LORD stands up to plead, and stands to judge his people.
- The LORD will enter into judgment with the elders of his people, and the princes thereof: for you have burned the vineyard;
the spoil of the poor is in your houses.
- Why did you sting my people, and shame the faces of the poor?
says the LORD of hosts.
- ¶ Because the daughters of Zion have become haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks, and wanton eyes, making a tinkling with their feet, and thus provoking the LORD;
- Therefore the LORD will bring low the heads of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD shall lay bare their secret parts.
- In that day the LORD will take away the beauty of their apparel;
- And their adornments and their necklaces and the braids of their hair and their chains and their bonnets and their veils,
- The paint of their faces, their earrings and their strings of beads
- And the ornaments of their legs and their bracelets and nose rings,
- The garments of varied colors and the mantles and the fine linens, the purple garments,
- The long outer garments, the purple robes, the scarlet robes, the wardrobe of all their adornments.
- And it shall come to pass, that instead of a sweet smell there shall be a stink;
and instead of an ornamental girdle, a worker’s apron;
and instead of curled hair, baldness;
and instead of purple robes, a girding of sackcloth;
for their beauty shall be destroyed.
- Your mighty men shall fall by the sword, and your valiant men in the battle.
- And her gates shall lament and mourn;
and her victory shall turn to defeat.