- ¶ NOW hearken to me, O Jacob, my servant, and Israel, whom I have chosen;
- Thus says the LORD that made you and formed you from the womb and helped you: Fear not, O Jacob, my servant;
and you, Israel, whom I have chosen.
- For I will give water in a parched ground and streams on the dry land;
I will pour my spirit upon your descendants and my blessings upon your offspring;
- And they shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the running streams.
- One shall say, I am the LORD’S;
and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob;
and another shall subscribe with his hand to the LORD and surname himself by the name of Israel.
- Thus says the LORD the King of Israel, and his Saviour, the LORD of hosts: I am the first and I am the last;
and besides me there is no God.
- And who is like me?
Let him announce it and set it in order and declare it, since I placed the people on the earth for ever.
And let them show the wonders that are coming.
- Fear not, neither be alarmed;
have not I announced to you from former time, and have declared it?
You are my witnesses, that there is no God besides me, and no mighty one whom I do not know.
- ¶ The makers of images are all of them vanity;
and there is no profit in the works which they desire to make;
the craftsmen who make them are witnesses, for they see not, nor hear, nor know.
- Therefore let them be ashamed, those who make gods or graven and molten images that are profitable for nothing.
- Behold, all their craftsmen are dumb men;
let them all be gathered together, let them stand up;
they shall be ashamed and confounded together;
- The carpenter sharpens an iron instrument, he shapes the image with a plane and fashions it with a chisel and works it with the strength of his arm;
yea, he becomes hungry and also thirsty, he drinks no water and is faint.
- The carpenter selects a piece of wood, and stretches out his rule;
he marks it out with a line;
he fashions it with planes and makes it into the likeness of a man, according to the beauty of a man;
- Then he makes it to stand in the house, a piece of wood which was cut down out of the forest, something which the rain has nourished,
- A thing for men to use as fuel;
they take some of it and heat the oven and bake bread;
yea, they also make a god of it and worship it;
yea, they make it a graven image and worship it.
- Half of it they burn in the fire;
and on its coals they roast meat, and they eat and are satisfied;
they also warm themselves and say, Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire;
- And of the rest they make a god, even a graven image;
and they worship it and pray to it and say, Deliver us;
for thou art our god.
- They have not known nor understood;
for the vision of their eyes is shut that they cannot see, and the understanding of their hearts, so that they cannot understand.
- And they considered not in their heart, neither did they know nor did they reason, saying, Half of it we burned in the fire;
yea, also we have baked bread on its coals;
we have roasted meat and eaten it;
and from the rest of it we have made for ourselves an idol of wood and worshipped it.
- Their imagination is dull;
they are surely gone astray, and cannot deliver themselves, nor say, Our right hand has wrought falsehood.
- ¶ Remember these things, O Jacob and Israel, for you are my servant;
I have formed you;
you are my servant;
O Israel, from henceforth forget me not.
- I have blotted out your iniquities as a thick mist, and your sins as a cloud;
return to me, for I have saved you.
- Sing, O you heavens;
for the LORD has done it;
shout, O you foundations of the earth;
break forth into singing, O mountains, O forest, and every tree therein!
For the LORD has saved Jacob and glorified himself in Israel.
- Thus says the LORD, who saved you and who formed you from the womb and helped you: I am the LORD who made all things;
who stretched out the heavens alone;
who spread out the earth by myself;
- Who makes void the signs of the diviners and despises their divinations;
who turns wise men backward and makes their knowledge foolish;
- Who confirms the word of his servant and performs the counsel of his messengers: who said to Jerusalem, You shall be inhabited, and to the cities of Judah, You shall be built and I will raise up the ruins thereof;
- Who said to the deep, Be dry, and who dried up the rivers;
- Who said of Cyrus, He is my shepherd and shall perform all my pleasure;
even saying to Jerusalem, You shall be built;
and to the temple, Your foundations shall be laid.