- ¶ BEL has fallen down, Nebo is overthrown;
their idols were loaded as burdens upon beasts, yea, upon weary beasts and cattle.
- They were overthrown, they have fallen down together;
they could not rescue those who carried them, but they themselves are gone into captivity.
- Hearken to me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, even those who are borne in the belly and who still are carried in the womb:
- Even to your old age I am he;
and even to gray hairs I will endure.
I have made and I will sustain;
even I will carry and will deliver.
- ¶ To whom will you liken me and make me equal and compare me, that we may be alike?
- To those who go astray, who pour out gold from their bags and weigh silver in the balance and hire a goldsmith;
and they make it a god;
they worship it, and they also pray to it?
- They bear it upon their shoulders, they carry it and set it in its place, and it cannot rise up from its place;
they also pray to it, but it does not answer them nor save them from their troubles.
- Remember these things and discern;
bring it again to your mind, O you transgressors!
- Remember the former things of old;
for I am God, and there is no other god;
and there is none like me,
- Declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure,
- Calling a ruler swift as a bird from the east, the man who executes my counsel from a far land;
yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass;
I have purposed it, I will also do it.
- Hearken to me, O you stubborn of heart, that are far from righteousness;
- My righteousness is near;
it shall not be far off, my salvation shall not tarry;
and I will give salvation in Zion and for Israel my glory.