- ¶ LISTEN to me, you who follow after righteousness, you who seek the LORD;
look to the mountain from which you were hewn, and to the hole of the pit from which you were digged.
- Look to Abraham your father, and to Sarah who conceived you;
for he was alone, and I called him and blessed him and multiplied him.
- For the LORD will build Zion;
he will build all her waste places;
he will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the LORD;
joy and gladness shall be heard in the midst of her, thanksgiving and the voice of singing.
- ¶ Hearken to me, O people;
and give ear to me, O nations;
for a law shall go forth from me, and my justice is a light to the Gentiles.
- My righteousness is near;
my salvation is gone forth and my arms shall judge the peoples;
the islands shall wait for me and on my arm shall they trust.
- Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look also upon the earth beneath;
for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wear out like a garment, and they who dwell in it shall perish in like manner;
but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not pass away.
- Hearken to me, you who know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law;
fear not the reproach of men, neither be afraid of their revilings.
- For the moth shall eat them up like wool and like a garment;
but my righteousness shall be for ever and my salvation from generation to generation.
- ¶ Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD;
awake as in the ancient days, as in the generations of old.
Surely it was thou that didst decree a severe sentence that didst slay the dragon.
- It was thou that didst dry the sea, the waters of the great deep;
that didst make the depths of the sea a way for the redeemed to pass over.
- Therefore the redeemed of the LORD shall return, and come with singing to Zion;
and everlasting joy shall be upon their heads;
they shall obtain gladness and joy;
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.
- I, even I, am he that comforts you, says the LORD;
who are you, that you should be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man that dries up like grass;
- And you have forgotten the LORD your Maker, who stretched forth the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth;
and have been afraid continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor, who was ready to destroy?
And now where is the fury of the oppressor?
- The oppressor hastened to destroy the mighty ones, but they shall not die or be destroyed, neither shall their bread fail.
- For I am the LORD your God who rebukes the sea, and its waves are calm;
the LORD of hosts is his name.
- And I have put my words in your mouth, and I have covered you in the shadow of my hand, because I stretched forth the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth and said to Zion, You are my people.
- ¶ Awake, awake, stand up, O Jerusalem, because you have drunk at the hand of the LORD the cup of his fury;
you have drunk to the dregs of the cup of trembling, and drained it.
- There is none to comfort her among all the sons whom she has borne;
neither is there any of all the sons that she has brought up that takes her by the hand.
- These two things are come to you;
who shall be sorry for you?
You shall have plunder, destruction, famine, and sword;
who shall comfort you?
- Your sons have fainted, they lie at every street corner, they are faded like a wilted beet;
they are full of the fury of the LORD, the rebuke of your God.
- Therefore hear now this, O you afflicted and drunken, but not with wine;
- Thus says your LORD, the LORD, and your God, who pleads the cause of his people: Behold, I have taken out of your hand the cup of trembling, and you shall drink no more of the cup of my fury;
- But I will put it into the hand of those who afflict you, who have said to your soul, Bow down that we may go over you;
and you have made your people like the ground and like the street to them that passed by.