- ¶ WHO has believed our report.
And to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
- For he grew up before him like an infant and like a root out of the dry ground;
he had no form nor comeliness;
and when we saw that he had no beauty, we denied him.
- He is despised and humbled of men;
a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief;
and we turned our faces away from him;
we despised him and we esteemed him not.
- ¶ Surely he has borne our sorrows and carried our griefs;
but we considered him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
- But he was slain for our sins, he was afflicted for our iniquities;
the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and with his wounds we are healed.
- All we like sheep have strayed;
we have turned every one to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him the sins of us all.
- He drew near and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth;
he was led as a lamb to the slaughter;
and as an ewe before her shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth.
- He was taken from prison and from judgment;
and who can describe his anguish?
For he was cut off out of the land of the living;
and some of the evil men of my people struck him.
- He made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, although he had done no iniquity, neither was there any deceit in his mouth.
- ¶ Yet it pleased the LORD to afflict him;
he has put him to grief;
he laid down his life as an offering for sin, that posterity may see, and his days shall be prolonged, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
- He shall see the reward of the travail of his soul, and be satisfied with the knowledge;
he shall justify the righteous;
for he is a servant of many, and he shall bear their sins.
- Therefore I will divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he has poured out his life to death;
and he was numbered with the transgressors;
and he bore the sins of many, and died the death of transgressors.