- ¶ AND it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jothan, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Aram, and Pekah the son of Romaliah, king of Israel, went up to Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it.
- And it was told the house of David, saying, Aram is confederate with Ephraim.
And his heart and the heart of his people were moved, as the trees of the forest are moved with the wind.
- Then the LORD said to Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, you and Shear-Jashub your son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool which is in the highway of the palace’s field;
- And say to him, Take heed and be quiet;
fear not, neither be frightened by these two weakening trouble-makers, by the fierce anger of Rezin, and by the son of Romaliah
- Because Aram, Ephraim, and the son of Romaliah have taken evil counsel against you, saying,
- Let us go up against Judah and destroy it, and let us make a breach in it and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal;
- Thus says the LORD God: It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.
- For the head of Aram is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin;
and after sixty-five years Ephraim shall be broken, so that it will no longer be a people.
- And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Romaliah’s son.
If you do not believe, surely you shall not understand.
- ¶ Moreover the LORD spoke again to Ahaz, saying,
- Ask for yourself a sign of the LORD your God;
ask something in the depth, or in the height above.
- But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD my God.
- And he said, Hear now, O house of David;
it is a small thing for you to weary men, but will you weary my God also?
- Therefore the LORD himself shall give you a sign;
Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know how to refuse the evil and choose the good.
- For before the child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land before whose two kings you are harassed shall be forsaken.
- ¶ The LORD shall bring upon you and upon your people and upon your father’s house days that have not come from the day when the king of Assyria parted Ephraim from Judah.
- And it shall come to pass on that day that the LORD shall whistle for the flies that are in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt and for the bees that are in the land of Assyria.
- And they shall come and shall rest all of them in the valley of Jathoth and in the holes of the rocks and in all the dens.
- On that day shall the LORD shave with a sharp razor the region that is beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head and the hair of the feet;
and he shall also shave off the beard.
- And it shall come to pass in that day that a man shall rear a young cow and two sheep;
- And it shall come to pass because of the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter;
for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.
- And it shall come to pass in that day that every place where there were a thousand vines, worth a thousand silver pieces, shall become briers and thorns.
- With arrows and with bows shall men come there, because all the land shall be filled with briers and thorns.
- And on all the hills that once were ploughed with a plough, you shall not go for fear of briers and thorns;
but it shall become pasture for cattle and for the treading of sheep.