- ¶ AFTER Abimeleck there arose to save Israel Tola the son of Puah, the son of his uncle, a man of Issachar;
and he dwelt in Shamir on mount Ephraim.
- And he judged Israel twenty-three years, and he died and was buried in Shamir.
- And after him arose Jair, the Gileadite, and he judged Israel for twenty-two years.
- And he had thirty sons who rode on thirty ass colts, and they had thirty towns, which are called villages of Jair to this day, which are in the land of Gilead.
- And Jair died and was buried in Camon.
- ¶ And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth and the gods of Edom, the gods of Zidon, the gods of Moab, the gods of the children of Ammon, the gods of the Philistines, and the gods of the rest of the nations, and they forsook the LORD and did not serve him.
- And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of the Philistines and into the hands of the children of Ammon.
- And from that year they vexed and oppressed the children of Israel, eighteen years, all the children of Israel who were on the other side of the Jordan in the land of the Amorites, which is in Gilead.
- Moreover the children of Ammon crossed the Jordan to fight against Judah and also against the house of Ephraim and against Benjamin;
so that Israel was exceedingly distressed.
- ¶ And the children of Israel cried to the LORD, saying, We have sinned against thee, because we have forsaken our God and have served Baal.
- And the LORD said to the children of Israel, Did not the Egyptians, the Moabites, the children of Ammon, the Philistines,
- The Zidonians, the Amalekites, and the Amorites oppress you;
and you cried to me, and I delivered you from their hands?
- Yet you have forsaken me and served other gods;
therefore I will save you no more.
- Go and pray to the gods with whom you are pleased;
let them become your saviors in the time of your distress.
- And the children of Israel said to the LORD, We have sinned;
do thou to us whatever seems good to thee;
only deliver us this day.
- And the children of Israel put away the strange gods from among them and served the LORD;
for the soul of Israel was grieved.
- Then the children of Ammon were gathered together and encamped in Gilead.
And the children of Israel assembled themselves together and encamped in Mizpeh.
- And the people and princes of Gilead said one to another, Whosoever shall first start to fight against the children of Ammon, he shall be prince over all the inhabitants of Gilead.