- ¶ IN the ninth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, in the tenth month, came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon and all his army against Jerusalem and besieged it.
- And in the eleventh year of King Zedekiah, in the fifth month, on the ninth day of the month, the city was breached.
- And all the princes of the king of Babylon came in and sat in the middle gate, even Nergal-sharezar, Samgar-nebo, Sarsechim chief of eunuchs, Nergal-sharezar, Rab-mag, with all of the princes of the king of Babylon.
- And it came to pass, when Zedekiah the king of Judah and all the men of war saw them, they fled and went out of the city by night by the way of the king’s garden by the gate between the two walls;
and they went out by the way of the plain.
- But the Chaldean’s army pursued them and overtook Zedekiah in the plains of Jericho;
and all his army was scattered from him;
and they took him and brought him up to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon to Diblath in the land of Hamath, where he pronounced judgment upon him.
- Then the king of Babylon slew the sons of Zedekiah in Diblath before his eyes;
also the king of Babylon slew all the princes of Judah.
- Moreover, he put out Zedekiah’s eyes and bound him in chains, to carry him to Babylon.
- And the Chaldeans burned the king’s house and the houses of the people with fire, and broke down the entire wall of Jerusalem round about.
- Then Nebuzaradan the general of the guard carried away captive into Babylon the remnant of the people who were left in the city and those who had deserted to him, with the rest of the people that remained.
- But Nebuzaradan the general of the guard left in the land of Judah some of the poor people, who had nothing, and gave them vineyards and work at the same time.
- ¶ Now Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon gave orders concerning Jeremiah to Nebuzaradan the general of the guard, saying,
- Take Jeremiah and treat him well and do him no harm;
but do to him anything that he shall say to you.
- So Nebuzaradan the general of the guard, Nebushazban the chief of the eunuchs, Nergal-sharezar.
Rab-mag, and all the princes of the king of Babylon
- Sent and took Jeremiah out of the court of the prison and committed him to Gedaliah the son of Ahikam the son of Shaphan, that he should have him sent back to his home;
so he dwelt among the people.
- Now the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah while he was shut up in the court of the guard, saying,
- Go and say to Ebed-melech the Ethiopian, Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will bring my words upon this city for evil and not for good;
and they shall be accomplished in that day before you.
- But I will deliver you in that day, says the LORD;
and you shall not be delivered into the hand of men of whom you are afraid.
- For I will surely deliver you, and you shall not fall by the sword, but your life shall be spared because you have put your trust in me, says the LORD.