- ¶ NOW before the feast of the passover, Jesus knew the hour had come to depart from this world to his Father.
He loved his own who were in this world, and he loved them to the end.
- During supper, Satan put into the heart of Judah, son of Simon of Iscariot, to deliver him.
- But Jesus, because he knew that the Father had given everything into his hands and that he came from God and was going to God,
- Rose from supper and laid aside his robe;
and he took a cloth and tied it around his loins.
- Then he poured water into a basin, and began to wash the feet of his disciples and to wipe them with the cloth which was tied around his loins.
- When he came to Simon Peter, Simon said to him, Are you, my Lord, going to wash my feet?
- Jesus answered, saying to him, What I am doing, you do not know now, but later you will understand.
- Then Simon Peter said to him, You will never wash my feet.
Jesus said to him, If I do not wash you, you have no part with me.
- Simon Peter said to him, Then, my Lord, wash not only my feet but also my hands and my head.
- Jesus said to him, He who has bathed does not need except to wash his feet only, for he is already all clean;
so you are all clean, but not everyone of you.
- For Jesus knew him who was to betray him;
therefore he said, Not everyone of you is clean.
- When he had washed their feet, he put on his robes and sat down;
and he said to them, Do you know what I have done to you?
- You call me Teacher and Lord;
and what you say is well, for I am.
- If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, how much more should you wash one another’s feet?
- For I have given you this as an example, so that just as I have done to you, you should also do.
- Truly, truly, I say to you, There is no servant who is greater than his master;
and no apostle who is greater than he who sent him.
- If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
- ¶ I do not say this concerning all of you, for I know those whom I have chosen;
but that the scripture might be fulfilled, He who eats bread with me has lifted up his heel against me.
- I tell you now before it happens, that when it happens, you may believe that I am he.
- Truly, truly, I say to you, He who receives him whom I send receives me;
and he who receives me receives him who sent me.
- Jesus said these things, and he was disturbed in spirit, and testified, saying, Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.
- The disciples then looked at each other, because they did not know concerning whom he spoke.
- Now there was one of his disciples who was leaning on his bosom, the one whom Jesus loved.
- Simon Peter beckoned to him, to ask him of whom he spoke.
- So that disciple leaned himself on the breast of Jesus, and said to him, My Lord, who is he?
- Jesus answered, saying, The one for whom I dip bread and give it to him.
So Jesus dipped the bread, and gave it to Judah, the son of Simon of Iscariot.
- And after the bread, Satan took possession of him.
So Jesus said to him, What you are going to do, do it soon.
- But no man of those who were sitting at the table understood what he said to him.
- For some of them thought, because the purse was with Judah, that he ordered him to buy what was needed for the feast or to give something to the poor.
- So Judah then received the bread and went outside immediately;
and it was night when he went out.
- ¶ Jesus then said, Now the Son of man is glorified, and God is glorified by him.
- If God is glorified by him, God will also glorify him by himself, and he will glorify him at once.
- My sons, I am with you yet a little while, and you will seek me.
And just as I said to the Jews, Where I go you cannot come;
the same I now tell you also.
- A new commandment I give you, that you love one another;
just as I have loved you, that you also love one another.