- ¶ I AM the true vine, and my Father is the laborer.
- Every branch in me that does not bear fruit, he cuts off;
and the one which bears fruit, he prunes so that it may bring forth more fruit.
- You have already been pruned because of the word which I have spoken to you.
- Remain with me and I with you.
Just as a branch cannot give fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, even so you cannot unless you remain with me.
- I am the vine, you are the branches.
He who remains with me, and I with him, will bear abundant fruit;
for without me you can do nothing.
- Unless a man remains with me, he will be cast outside like a branch which is withered, which they pick up and throw into the fire to be burned.
- If you remain with me, and my words remain with you, whatever you ask shall be done for you.
- In this the Father will be glorified, that you bear abundant fruit and be my disciples.
- ¶ Just as my Father has loved me, I also have loved you;
abide in my love.
- If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, even as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.
- I have spoken these things to you that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be full.
- This is my commandment: That you love one another just as I have loved you.
- There is no greater love than this, that a man lay down his life for the sake of his friends.
- You are my friends if you do everything that I command you.
- Henceforth I will not call you servants, because a servant does not know what his master does;
but I have always called you my friends, because everything that I heard from my Father I have made known to you.
- You did not choose me, but I chose you, and I have appointed you, that you also should go and produce fruit and that your fruit might remain, so that whatever you ask my Father in my name, he will give it to you.
- I command these things to you so that you may love one another.
- ¶ If the world hates you, know well that it has hated me before you.
- If you were of the world, the world would love its own;
but you are not of the world for I have chosen you out of the world;
this is why the world hates you.
- Remember the word which I said to you, that no servant is greater than his master.
If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you;
if they kept my word, they will also keep yours.
- But they will do all these things to you for the sake of my name, because they do not know him who sent me.
- If I had not come and spoken to them, they would be without sin;
but now they have no excuse for their sins.
- He who hates me hates my Father also.
- If I had not done works before their eyes, such as no other man has ever done, they would be without sin;
but now they have seen and hated me and also my Father,
- So that the word which is written in their law may be fulfilled, They hated me for no reason.
- ¶ But when the Comforter comes, whom I will send to you from my Father, the Spirit of truth which proceeds from my Father, he will testify concerning me.
- And you also will testify because you have been with me from the beginning.