- ¶ I HAVE spoken these things to you so that you may not stumble.
- For they will put you out of their synagogues;
and the hour will come that whoever kills you will think that he has offered an offering to God.
- And these things they will do because they have not known my Father, nor me.
- I have spoken these things to you that when their time does come, you may remember them, and that I told you.
And these things I did not tell you before because I was with you.
- But now I am going to him who sent me, and yet no one of you asks me, Where are you going?
- But because I told you these things, sorrow has come and filled your hearts.
- ¶ But I tell you the truth, It is better for you that I should go away;
for if I do not go away, the Comforter will not come to you;
but if I should go, I will send him to you.
- And when he is come, he will rebuke the world concerning sin, concerning righteousness, and concerning judgment;
- Concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;
- Concerning righteousness, because I go to my Father and you will not see me again;
- Concerning judgment, because the leader of this world has been judge.
- Again, I have many other things to tell you, but you cannot grasp them now.
- But when the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you into all the truth;
for he will not speak from himself, but what he hears he will speak;
and he will make known to you things which are to come in the future.
- He will glorify me, because he will take of my own and show it to you.
- Everything that my Father has is mine;
this is the reason why I told you that he will take of my own and show it to you.
- ¶ A little while, and you will not see me;
and again a little while, and you will see me, because I am going to the Father.
- Then his disciples said to one another, What is this that he said to us, A little while, and you will not see me;
and again a little while, and you will see me;
and, because I am going to my Father?
- And they said, What is this that he said, A little while?
We cannot understand what he talks about.
- Jesus knew that they desired to ask him, and he said to them, Are you inquiring among yourselves concerning this that I told you, A little while, and you will not see me;
and again a little while, and you will see me?
- Truly, truly, I say to you that you will weep and wail, and yet the world will rejoice;
and you will be sad, but your sadness will be changed into gladness.
- When a woman is in travail, she is depressed because her day has arrived;
but when she has given birth to a son, she no longer remembers her troubles because of the joy that a male child is born into the world.
- So you also are depressed;
but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no man will take away from you.
- ¶ In that day you will not ask me anything.
Truly, truly, I say to you that whatever you ask my Father in my name, he will give it to you.
- Hitherto you have asked nothing in my name;
ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be full.
- I have spoken these things in figures;
but the time is coming when I will not speak to you in figures, but will plainly explain to you concerning the Father.
- In that day you will ask in my name;
and I will not say to you, I will ask the Father concerning you.
- For the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came forth from the Father.
- ¶ I came forth from the Father and I came into the world;
again, I am leaving the world and I am going to the Father.
- His disciples said to him, Behold, now you speak plainly and do not utter a single figure.
- Now we understand that you know everything, and you need no man to ask you;
by this we believe that you have come forth from God.
- Jesus said to them, Believe;
- For behold, the hour is coming, and it has now come, when you will be dispersed, every man to his own country, and you will leave me alone;
and yet I am never alone because the Father is with me.
- These things I have said to you that in me you may have peace.
In the world you will have tribulation;
but have courage, I have conquered the world.