- ¶ JESUS said these things and went out with his disciples across the brook Kidron, to a place where there was a garden, where he and his disciples entered.
- Judah the traitor also knew that place, for Jesus and his disciples frequently gathered there.
- Judah, therefore, took a company of soldiers and also guards from the high priests and the Pharisees, and he came there with torches and lamps and weapons.
- Jesus, knowing everything that was to happen, went out and said to them.
Whom do you want?
- They said to him, Jesus the Nazarene.
Jesus said to them, I am he.
Judah the traitor was also standing with them.
- When Jesus said to them, I am he, they drew back and fell to the ground.
- Jesus again asked them, Whom do you want?
They said, Jesus the Nazarene.
- Jesus said to them, I have told you that I am he;
if then you want me, let these men go away;
- (That the word which he said might be fulfilled, Of those whom thou gavest me, I have lost not even one).
- But Simon Peter had a sword, and he drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear.
The servant’s name was Maleck.
- And Jesus said to Peter, Put the sword into its sheath;
shall I not drink the cup which my Father has given me?
- Then the soldiers and the captains and the Jewish guards seized Jesus and bound him.
- ¶ And they brought him first to Hanan, because he was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, who was the high priest of that year.
- Caiaphas was the one who had counselled the Jews that it was better for one man to die instead of the people.
- Simon Peter and one of the other disciples followed Jesus.
The high priest knew that disciple, so he entered with Jesus into the courtyard.
- But Simon stood outside near the door.
Then the other disciple, whom the high priest knew, went out and told the portress, and brought in Simon.
- The young portress then said to Simon, Are you also one of the disciples of this man?
He said to her, No.
- And the servants and guards were standing and making a fire to warm themselves because it was cold;
Simon also stood with them and warmed himself.
- The high priest then questioned Jesus concerning his disciples and concerning his teaching.
- Jesus said to him, I have spoken openly to the people, and I have always taught in the synagogue and in the temple where all Jews assemble;
and I have spoken nothing secretly.
- Why do you ask me?
Ask those who heard what I have spoken to them;
behold, they know everything which I said.
- And as he said these things, one of the guards who stood by struck Jesus on his cheek and said to him, Is this how you answer the high priest?
- Jesus answered, saying to him, If I have spoken any evil, testify to the evil;
but if it is good, why did you strike me?
- Hanan then sent Jesus bound to Caiaphas the high priest.
- Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself.
They said to him, What!
are you also one of his disciples?
He denied and said, I am not.
- Then one of the servants of the high priest, a kinsman of him whose ear Simon had cut off, said to him, Did I not see you with him in the garden?
- Simon again denied it;
and at that very hour the cock crowed.
- ¶ Then they brought Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium;
and it was morning;
and they did not enter into the Praetorium, so that they might not be defiled before they ate the passover.
- Pilate then went outside where they were, and said to them, What accusation do you have against this man?
- They answered, saying to him, If he were not an evildoer, we would not have delivered him up to you.
- Then said Pilate to them, Take him yourselves, and judge him according to your own law.
The Jews said to him, We have no power to kill a man;
- So that the word which Jesus had said might be fulfilled, when he signified by what kind of death he was to die.
- Pilate then entered into the Praetorium, and called Jesus and said to him.
Are you the King of the Jews?
- Jesus said to him, Do you say this of yourself or have others told it to you concerning me?
- Pilate said to him, Why, am I a Jew?
Your own people and the high priests have delivered you to me;
what have you done?
- Jesus said to him, My kingdom is not of this world;
if my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have fought so that I should not be delivered to the Jews;
but now my kingdom is not from here.
- Pilate said to him, Then are you a king?
Jesus said to him, You say that I am a king.
For this I was born, and for this very thing I came to the world, that I may bear witness concerning the truth.
Whoever is of the truth will hear my voice.
- Pilate said to him, What is this truth?
And as he said this, he went out again to the Jews and said to them, I am unable to find even one cause against him.
- You have a custom that I should release to you one at the passover;
do you wish, therefore, that I release to you this King of the Jews?
- They all cried out saying, Not him, but Bar-Abba.
Now this Bar-Abba was a bandit.