- ¶ WHEN Jesus knew that the Pharisees had heard he made many disciples and was baptizing more people than John,
- Though Jesus himself did not baptize, but his disciples;
- He left Judea and came again to Galilee.
- ¶ He had to go through Samaritan territory.
- Then he came to a Samaritan city called Sychar, near the field which Jacob had given to his son Joseph.
- Now Jacob’s well was there;
and Jesus was tired by the fatigue of the journey, and sat down by the well.
It was about the sixth hour.
- And there came a woman from Samaria to draw water;
and Jesus said to her, Give me water to drink.
- His disciples had entered into the city to buy food for themselves.
- The Samaritan woman said to him, How is it?
You are a Jew, and yet you ask me for a drink, who am a Samaritan woman?
(For Jews have no social intercourse with Samaritans.)
- Jesus answered, saying to her, If you only knew the gift of God and who is the man who said to you, Give me a drink, you would have asked him, and he would pave given you living water.
- The woman said to him, My lord, you have no leather bucket and no deep well;
where do you get the living water?
are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us this well, and he himself drank from it, and his sons and his sheep?
- Jesus answered, saying to her, Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again;
- But whoever drinks of the water which I give him shall never thirst;
but the same water which I give him shall become in him a well of water springing up to life everlasting·
- The woman said to him, My lord, give me of this water, so that I may not thirst again and need not come and draw from here.
- Jesus said to her, Go and call your husband, and come here.
- She said to him, I have no husband.
Jesus said to her, You said well, I have no husband;
- For you have had five husbands;
and the one you now have is not your husband;
what you said is true.
- Then the woman said to him, My lord, I see that you are a prophet.
- Our forefathers worshipped on this mountain;
and you say the place where men must worship is in Jerusalem.
- Jesus said to her, Woman, believe me, the time is coming, when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will they worship the Father.
- You worship what you do not know;
but we worship what we do know;
for salvation is from the Jews.
- But the time is coming, and it is here, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth;
for the Father also desires worshippers such as these.
- For God is Spirit;
and those who worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
- The woman said to him, I know that the Messiah (Christ) is coming;
when he is come, he will teach us everything.
- Jesus said to her, I am he who is speaking to you.
- ¶ While he was talking, his disciples came and were surprised that he was talking with a married woman;
but no one said to him, What do you want?
or, What are you talking with her?
- The woman then left her water jar, and went to the city and said to the men,
- Come and see a man who told me everything which I have done;
is he the Christ?
- And the men went out of the city, and came to him.
- During the interval his disciples begged him, saying, Teacher, eat.
- But he said to them, I have food to eat of which you do not know.
- The disciples said among themselves, What!
did any man bring him something to eat?
- Jesus said to them, My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.
- Do you not say that after four months comes the harvest?
Behold, I say to you, Lift up your eyes and look at the fields which have turned white and have long been ready for the harvest.
- And he who reaps receives wages and gathers fruits to life everlasting, so that the sower and the reaper may rejoice together.
- For in this case the saying is true, One sows and another reaps.