- ¶ THEN answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said,
- The LORD does not answer because of the multitude of words, neither can a fluent speaker be justified by his discourse.
- Behold, at your words, only the dead can hold their peace;
for when you speak, there is no one to stop you;
and when you mock, there is no one to rebuke you.
- For you say, I was led righteously, and I am pure in my sight.
- But oh that God would speak, and open his lips against you;
- And that he would show you the secrets of wisdom, for wisdom has inner chambers;
then you would know that God would forgive your sins.
- ¶ Can you understand the deep things of God?
Or can you stand at the outer boundary of the Almighty?
- Do you know the height of the heaven?
Or the depth of Sheol?
How can you know?
- The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.
- If he should pass by, and besiege, or should cause men to die, who could hinder him?
- For it is he who knows the beginning of time;
and sees wickedness, and considers it.
- For a pure man inspires courage, and a mighty man helps others.
- ¶ If you make your heart right, and stretch out your hands toward him;
- If iniquity should be in your hands, he would put it far away, and not let wickedness dwell in your tabernacle.
- For then you will be courageous;
yea, you will not be afraid of distress.
- Because you shall forget your misery, and you shall be led like running water;
- And the pit will be clearer than the noonday, and the thick darkness will be like the morning.
- Then you will have confidence because there is hope;
yea, you lie down and take your rest in safety:
- Also you shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid;
yea, many shall seek to see your face.
- But the eyes of the wicked shall fail, and their strength shall vanish away together with the hope of their souls.