- ¶ AND Job answered and said,
- Truly, you are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.
- But I have understanding as well as you;
I am not inferior to you;
but to whom are such things as these not known?
- And yet he who called upon God became ridiculous to his friends, and he answered him who is pleased with the righteous who are unblemished,
- Who is ready to do away with contempt and iniquity, and to strengthen the slippery feet.
- ¶ The tabernacle of robbers shall be removed, and the confidence of those who provoke God;
for there is no God in their heart.
- But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach you;
and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell you;
- Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach you;
and the fishes of the sea shall declare to you.
- Who does not know in all these that the hand of the LORD has made them?
- Because in his hand are the souls of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.
- The ear hears the words, and the palate tastes food.
- ¶ With the elders is wisdom;
and in length of days, understanding.
- With him is wisdom and might, he has counsel and understanding.
- Behold, if he demolishes, who can build;
and if he shuts up a man in prison, who can open?
- If he withholds the waters, they dry up;
if he releases them they ruin the land.
- With him is strength and wisdom;
with him is might and salvation.
- He leads kings amazingly, and makes judges fools.
- He brings kings down to beg at the gates, and girds their loins with girdles of power.
- He leads priests with reverence, and overthrows the mighty.
- He cancels the speech of trusty counsellors, and takes away the good judgment of elders.
- He pours contempt upon princes, and weakens the strength of the mighty.
- He uncovers deep things out of darkness, and brings the light out of the shadow of death.
- He causes the nations to err, and destroys them;
he strikes down the nations, and forsakes them.
- He takes away the understanding of the chiefs of the people of the earth, and causes them to wander in a waste land where there is no way.
- They search in darkness without light, and they grope in darkness without understanding;
and he makes them stagger like a drunken man.