- ¶ MY spirit is weary, my days are extinct;
the grave is ready for me,
- For there is no falsehood in me, and yet my spirit dwells in their bitterness.
- Make me, I pray thee, a hostage with thee;
then I will surrender myself.
- For thou hast hid their heart from understanding;
therefore they shall exalt themselves in their deception.
- When a friend behaves insolently toward his friend, even the eyes of his children shall fail.
- He has granted power to the nations;
I shall be derided before them.
- My eye is dim because of anger, and all my senses are like a shadow.
- Upright men shall be amazed at this, and the innocent shall stir himself up against the guilty.
- The righteous also shall hold to his way, and he that has clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.
- ¶ But as for you all, you are hypocritical, and yet you return and come to me;
but I cannot find a wise man among you.
- O you time wasters!
Who think about nothing!
O you destroyers of the hearts of the people!
- You change the night into day;
and you bring forth the light before the darkness is over.
- If I wait, Sheol is my house;
I have made my bed in the darkness.
- I have said to corruption, You are my father;
to the worm, You are my mother and my sister.
- Where is now my hope and my trust?
As for my hope, who shall find it?
- They shall go down to the bottom of Sheol;
they shall descend together into the dust.