- ¶ MOREOVER Job continued his parable, and said,
- As God lives, who has wronged my judgment, and the Almighty, who has made my soul bitter;
- As long as my soul is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;
- My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit.
- God forbid that I should do evil, till I die I will not remove my innocence from me.
- My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go;
my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live.
- ¶ Let my enemy be as the ungodly, and he that hates me as the wicked.
- For though he has accumulated riches, what is the hope of the godless at the time when God takes away his life?
- For God will not hear his prayer when trouble comes upon him.
- But if he should trust in the Almighty, and always call upon God, God will hear him and answer him.
- ¶ But as for you, I will deliver you into the hand of God;
so that your works may not be hid from him.
- Behold, all of you have seen it;
why then do you boast in vain?
- This is the portion of a wicked man with God, and the heritage of oppressors, which they shall receive from the Almighty.
- If their children are multiplied, it is for the sword;
and their offspring shall not be satisfied with bread.
- Those who remain of them shall be buried in death;
and their widows shall not weep over them.
- Though they heap up silver like dust and accumulate clothes like clay,
- They may pile them up, yet the righteous shall wear them, and shall also divide their silver.
- For the wicked has built his house upon a spider’s web, and like a booth he had made his shelter.
- The rich man shall lie down, but he shall not rise again;
he opens his eyes, and he is gone.
- Terrors overtake him like swift water, and like a tempest that rages.
- The east wind shall carry him away in the night, and he is gone;
and shall hurl him out of his place.
- For God shall cast him out without pity, and he cannot escape out of his hand.
- He shall smite him with his hand, and shall hiss against him from his dwelling place.