- ¶ THEN Elihu added, and said,
- Bear with me a little, and I will show you;
for there are yet words to speak on God’s behalf.
- I will fetch my knowledge from afar, and will ascribe righteousness to my Maker.
- For truly my words are not deceitful, and my knowledge is blameless with you.
- ¶ Behold, God is mighty, and does not despise him who is pure as milk.
- He does not preserve the life of the wicked;
but gives justice to the poor.
- He does not withdraw his eyes from the righteous;
he sets kings on the throne;
yea, they are exalted for ever.
- And if they be bound in chains, then they go down through destruction to poverty.
- Then he shows them their works, and their transgression because they have exceeded their power.
- He opens also their ears to discipline, and commands that they return from iniquity.
- If they obey and serve him, they will spend their days in prosperity and their years in pleasures.
- But if they do not obey, they shall perish by destruction, and they shall perish without knowledge.
- But the hypocrites in heart shall be consumed, they shall not cry for help;
yet they shall cry angrily when he binds them.
- They shall die in youth, and their life is snatched by famine.
- ¶ But the meek shall be delivered through his meekness, and he opens their way in time of oppression.
- Even so he shall deliver you from the mouth of the mocker, and give you rest instead of distress;
and he shall prepare a table with rich food.
- But he shall judge the wicked to the limit: judgment and justice shall take hold on them.
- He will not threaten you with a raging anger, nor will he cause you to be in need of a great ransom.
- He shall join you, that he may deliver you;
you shall not be distressed by any of those who are mighty in power.
- He shall deliver you from those who drive you away in the night, and give peoples for your sake, and the nations for your life.
- Take heed, that you may not return to iniquity: because for this you were tried by poverty.
- Behold, God is mighty in power: who can teach like him?
- Who has enjoined him his way?
Or who can say, Thou hast wrought iniquity?
- ¶ Remember that his works are great, and all men have praised him.
- All the peoples have seen it, and beheld it from afar.
- Behold, God is great, and we know him not, the number of his years is unsearchable.
- For if we should number the pillars of the heaven, and bind the drops of rain by themselves, which the skies do drop in their season;
- And which the clouds pour down upon men, and cause them to be exceedingly glad;
- Who can understand these things, or the spreading of the clouds out of the greatness of his tabernacle?
- Behold, he spreads his light upon it, and covers the bottom of the sea.
- For by these he judges the people;
and he gives food to many.
- He covers the light with the clouds, and then it shines upon them again that they may greet it.
- He shows his possessions to his friends, and to the wicked also.