- ¶ THEN the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
- Who is this that gives counsel by words without knowledge?
- Gird up your loins now, like a valiant man;
for I will question you, and you shall answer me.
- ¶ Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
Declare, if you have understanding.
- Who has laid its measures, if you know?
Or who has stretched the line upon it?
- Upon what are its limits resting?
Or who laid the cornerstone thereof?
- When did I create the morning stars, and all the angels shouted for joy?
- Or who shut up the sea with gates, when it broke forth as if it had issued out of the womb?
- When I made the cloud the garment of the earth, and thick darkness a swaddling hand for it,
- And prescribed limits for it, and set bars and doors,
- And said, Thus far shall you come, but no farther;
and here shall your proud waves be stayed?
- ¶ Have you commanded the dawn since your days began;
or do you know the place of the morning;
- That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be thrown out of it?
- So that their bodies shall be turned into clay, and be thrown into a heap.
- The light of sinners shall be withheld, and the arm of the arrogant shall be broken.
- Have you entered into the depths of the sea?
Or have you walked in the foundations of the deep?
- Have the gates of death been revealed to you?
Or have you seen the gates of the shadow of death?
- Have you seen the whole breadth of the earth?
Declare to me if you know it all.
- Where is the dwelling place of light, and where is the place of darkness?
- Do you know its borders and the path to its house?
- Do you remember when you were born, and do you know if you will live many days?
- Have you entered into the chambers of the snow?
Or have you seen the storehouses of hail,
- Which are reserved against the time of distress, against the day of battle and war?
- Or in what manner is light distributed, and whence the wind comes forth upon the earth?
- ¶ Who causes a flash of lightning and a clap of thunder?
- Who causes it to rain on a land where no man is, in the wilderness where there is no inhabitant,
- To saturate every thicket, and cause the tender grass to spring up?
- Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
- Out of whose womb did the dew and ice come forth?
And who begot the hoary frost of heaven?
- The waters are hardened like a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.
- Can you stop the movement of the Pleiades, or have you seen the path of Orion?
- Can you bring forth Mazzaroth in its season?
Or can you stand in the paths of Aldebaran?
- Do you know the laws of the heavens?
Or do you make ordinances for the earth?
- Can you lift up your voice to the clouds?
Or can you cover them with abundance of waters?
- Can you send forth the lightnings, that they may go, and say to you.
Here we are?
- Who has put wisdom in the inward parts?
Or who has given vision to understanding?
- Who has numbered the clouds by his wisdom?
And who has raised the pillars of heaven?
- Who has poured out soil upon the earth, and who has made the steep rocks?
- Who has given prey for the lion?
Or filled the appetite of the young lions?
- Who has multiplied the beasts in the field?
Or who has provided food for the raven?
- For its young ones cry to God, and faint for lack of food.