- ¶ THEN Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said,
- If I venture to speak with you, will you be wearied?
But who can restrain himself from speaking with you?
- Behold, you have instructed many, and you have strengthened the weak hands.
- Your words have upheld the weak, and you have strengthened the feeble knees.
- But now because misfortune has come upon you, and you are weary;
it touches you, and you are terrified.
- Behold, your fear is to be blamed, and your trust in the integrity of your way.
- ¶ Remember, I pray you, whoever perished, being innocent?
Or where were the upright ever put to shame?
- As I have seen, those who plow iniquity and sow trouble, reap the same.
- By the breath of God they perish, and by the blast of his anger they are consumed.
- The roaring of the lion, and the voice of the young lion are silenced, and the teeth of the lions are broken.
- The lion perishes for the lack of prey, and the whelps of the lioness are scattered.
- ¶ Now a thing was secretly brought to me, and my ear received a little of it.
- In silence, in a night vision, when deep sleep falls on men,
- Fear came upon me, and trembling, which made all my bones to shake.
- Then a spirit passed before my face;
the hair of my flesh stood up:
- Then I arose, but I could not discern its meaning;
there was no form before my eyes, but I heard a gentle voice, saying,
- Shall mortal man be declared more righteous than God?
Shall he be more pure than his Maker?
- Behold, he put no trust in his servants;
and his messengers he struck with amazement;
- Even those who dwell in decorated houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, shall be humbled before the thick darkness.
- They shall be afflicted from morning to evening, that they may not dwell for ever;
yea, they shall perish.
- Behold, their possessions are taken away from them;
and the rest of them shall die without wisdom.