- ¶ CALL now, I pray you;
is there any one to answer you?
And to which of the holy ones will you turn?
- For anger kills the foolish man, and enmity slays the silly one.
- I have seen the wicked prosper;
but his habitation is suddenly destroyed.
- His children are far from salvation, and they are humiliated at the gate, and there is no one to deliver them.
- His harvest the hungry eat up;
and they shall pour out water to the thirsty, and the thirsty devour their substance.
- ¶ For falsehood does not come forth from the dust, nor does iniquity spring out of the ground;
- For man is born for trouble, as sure as the wild birds fly.
- But as for me.
I would seek God, and to God I would commit my cause,
- Who has done great things without limit;
and marvellous things without number.
- Who gives rain upon the earth, and sends water upon the streets;
- To set up on high those that are lowly;
and the meek shall be exalted by salvation.
- He frustrates the devices of the crafty, so that their hands cannot wisely perform their enterprise.
- He takes the wise in their subtlety;
and the counsel of the crafty is frustrated.
- They handle things in the daytime as though they were in darkness, and grope in the noonday as in the night.
- But he saves their lives from the sword, and the poor from the hand of the mighty.
- So there shall be hope for the poor, but the wicked shall shut his mouth.
- ¶ Behold, happy is the man whom God corrects;
and he who does not despise the chastening of the Almighty;
- For it is he who wounds, and binds up;
he smites, and his hands heal.
- He shall deliver you in six troubles;
yea, in seven there shall no evil touch you.
- In famine he shall deliver you from death;
and in war from the power of the sword.
- You shall be protected from the scourge of the tongue;
and you shall not be afraid of destruction when it comes.
- At plunder and famine you shall laugh;
and you shall not fear the wild beasts.
- For you shall be in league with the stones of the field;
and the wild beasts shall surrender to you.
- You shall know that your tabernacle shall be in peace;
and you shall return to your habitation, and shall not sin.
- You shall know also that your descendants shall be many, and your offspring like the grass of the earth.
- You shall come to your grave gently, like a shock of grain in its season.
- Lo this thing we have searched, and it is so;
we have heard it;
and you know it for your good.