- ¶ THEN answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said,
- How long will you speak these things?
And how long will your mouth utter proud words?
- Does God pervert justice?
Or does the Almighty pervert right?
- If your children have sinned against him, he has sent them away in their transgressions.
- If you would seek God and make supplication to the Almighty,
- If you were innocent and upright, surely then he would be attentive to you, and would make the habitation of your righteousness prosperous,
- So that though your beginning was small he would make your end very great.
- ¶ For inquire, I pray you, of the former generations, and learn through the search of their fathers;
- For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are like a shadow;
- And, behold, they shall teach you, and tell you, and utter words out of their heart.
- Can papyrus grow in a thirsty land?
Can reeds grow where there is no water?
- While they are yet in their greenness, and not cut down, they wither before any other herb.
- So are the paths of all who forget God;
and the hope of the heathen shall perish;
- Whose confidence shall be cut off, and whose house is a spider’s web.
- The wicked shall put his trust in his house, but it shall not stand;
he shall hold it fast, but it shall not endure.
- He is like green vegetation before the sun, and his roots shall rest in a ground liable to be washed away.
- He shall see his house a heap of stones.
- If he is uprooted from his place, then he will deny him, saying, I have not seen thee.
- Behold, it is he who examines all his ways, and out of the earth others shall sprout.
- ¶ Behold, God will not reject the upright men, nor will he help the evildoers;
- Until he fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with a song.
- Those who hate you shall be clothed with shame;
and the tent of the wicked shall be destroyed.