- ¶ THEN Jonah prayed before the LORD his God from the belly of the fish, saying,
- I cried to the LORD in my distress and he answered me;
out of the depths of Sheol cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
- For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the sea;
and the flood compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves have passed over me.
- Then I said, I am cast afar out of thy sight;
yet now I will see again thy holy temple.
- The waters engulfed me, even to the soul;
the depth closed me round about, my head lay at the bottom of the sea.
- I went down to the bottoms of the mountains;
the earth shut up its bars against me for ever;
yet thou hast brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.
- When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD;
and my prayer came in to thee, into thy holy temple.
- All those who revere false idols forsake thy mercy.
- But I will sacrifice to thee with the voice of thanksgiving;
I will pay the things that I have vowed, as a reward for the LORD.
- ¶ And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited out Jonah on the dry land.