- ¶ AFTER the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ minister,
- Moses my servant is dead;
now therefore arise, cross this Jordan, you and all this people, into the land which I am giving to them, even to the children of Israel.
- Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, it shall be yours, as I promised Moses.
- From the wilderness and this Lebanon even to the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, as far as the Great Sea toward the going down of the sun shall be your boundaries.
- No man shall be able to resist you all the days of your life;
as I was with Moses, so I will be with you;
I will not fail you, not forsake you.
- Be strong and of good courage;
for you shall cause this people to inherit the land which I swore to their fathers to give them.
- Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the laws which Moses my servant has commanded you;
turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may succeed wherever you go.
- This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth;
but you shall meditate thereon day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein;
for then you shall succeed and prosper.
- Behold, I have commanded you.
Be strong and of good courage;
fear not, neither be dismayed;
for the your God is with you wherever you go.
- ¶ Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people and their scribes, saying,
- Pass through the camp, and command the people, saying, Prepare for yourselves provisions for a journey;
for within three days you are to cross this Jordan, to go in to possess the land which the LORD your God gives you.
- And to the Reubenites and to the Gadites and to the half tribe of Manasseh, Joshua said,
- Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, The LORD Your God has given you rest, and has given you this land.
- Your wives, your little ones, and your cattle shall remain in the land which Moses gave you on this side of the Jordan;
but you shall cross armed before your brethren, all of you who are mighty men of valor, and help them:
- Until the LORD gives rest to your brethren, as he has given you, and they also have possessed the land which the LORD your God gives them;
then you shall return to the land of your possession, and shall inherit it, the land which Moses the servant of the LORD gave you on this side of the Jordan toward the sunrising.
- ¶ And the Reubenites, the Gadites, and the Manassites answered and said to Joshua, All that you have commanded us we will do, and wherever you send us, we will go.
- Just as we obeyed Moses in all things, so will we obey you: only the LORD your God be with you, as he was with Moses.
- Anyone who shall quarrel with you and will not obey your word in all that you command him, he shall be put to death;
only be strong and of good courage.