- ¶ AND when Nabin king of Hazur heard of these things, he sent to Jobab king of Meron, and to the king of Shamrin, and to the king of Achshaph,
- And to the kings that were north of him in the mountains, and to the south, and in the plain of Chinnereth, and in the valleys and in Napotdor on the west,
- And to the Canaanites on the east and on the west, and to the Amorites and the Hittites and the Perizzites and the Jebusites in the mountains, and to the Hivites below mount Hermon in the land of Mizpeh.
- And they came out with all their hosts, many people, as the sand that is upon the sea shore in multitude, with many horses and chariots.
- And when all these kings were met together, they came and encamped together at the waters of Meron, and prepared to fight against Israel.
- And the LORD said to Joshua, Do not be afraid of them;
for tomorrow about this time I will cause them to be routed before Israel;
and I will annihilate their horses and burn their chariots with fire.
- So Joshua came suddenly to the waters of Meron, he and all the people of war who were with him;
and they fell upon them.
- And the LORD delivered them into the hand of Israel, who smote them and pursued them as far as great Zidon, and to the lake, and as far as the valley of Mizpeh eastward;
and they smote them, and they left none remaining.
- And Joshua did to them as the LORD had told him: he utterly destroyed their horses and burned their chariots with fire.
- ¶ And Joshua at that time turned back and took Hazor, and slew its king with the sword;
for Hazor before had been the head of all those kingdoms.
- And they smote with the edge of the sword all the people that were in it, utterly destroying them;
there was not a soul left among them;
and he burned Hazor with fire.
- And all the cities of those kings, and all their kings, Joshua took and smote them with the edge of the sword, and utterly destroyed them, as Moses the servant of the LORD had commanded him.
- And all the towns that stood on the hills did Israel burn, and Joshua burned Hazor.
- And all the spoil of these cities and the cattle, the children of Israel took for themselves;
but every man they smote with the edge of the sword until they had annihilated them, and they did not leave a soul among them.
- ¶ Just as the LORD had commanded Moses his servant, so did Moses command Joshua, and so did Joshua;
he left nothing undone of all that the LORD had commanded Moses.
- So Joshua took all that land, the mountain country and all the south country and all the land of the plain and all the mountains and their lowlands;
- From mount Paleg that goes up to Seir, as far as Gadgad in the valley of Lebanon below mount Hermon;
and all their kings Joshua took and slew.
- Joshua made war for a long time with all those kings.
- There was not a city that was not delivered up to the children of Israel, and they destroyed it, except the Hivites who dwell in Gibeon, whom Joshua allowed to live, and work for Israel.
Now all these kingdoms are seven in number, and Joshua destroyed them all.
- For it was of the LORD to encourage their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that they might destroy them utterly, and that they might not have compassion upon them, but that they might destroy them, as the LORD had commanded Moses.
- And at that time came Joshua and smote the giants who were in the mountains, from Hebron, from Debir, from Gebal and from all the mountains of Judah and from all the mountains of Israel;
Joshua destroyed them utterly with their cities.
- There was none of the giants left remaining in the land of the children of Israel;
only in Gaza, in Gath, and in Ashdod, did any remain.
- So Joshua took the whole land, according to all that the LORD had spoken to Moses;
and Joshua gave it as an inheritance to Israel according to their divisions by their tribes.
And the land rested from war.