- ¶ AND these are the countries which the children of Israel inherited in the land of Canaan, which Eleazar the priest and Joshua the son of Nun and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel distributed as inheritance to them.
- By lot was their inheritance divided, as the LORD had commanded by the hand of Moses, to be given to the nine tribes and to the half tribe.
- For Moses had given the inheritance of two tribes and a half tribe beyond the Jordan;
but to the Levites he gave no inheritance.
- For the children of Joseph were two tribes, Manasseh and Ephraim;
therefore he gave no portion to the Levites in the land, save cities to dwell in, with their suburbs for their cattle and for their substance.
- As the LORD commanded Moses, so did the children of Israel, and they divided the land.
- ¶ Then the children of Judah came to Joshua in Gilgal;
and Caleb the son of Jophaniah the Kenezite said to Joshua, You know the thing that the LORD spoke to Moses his servant concerning me and you at Rakim-gia.
- I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Rakim-gia to spy out the land;
and I brought him word again as it was in my heart.
- Nevertheless our brethren who went up with us made the heart of the people quake;
but I wholly followed the LORD my God.
- And Moses swore at that time, saying, Surely the land on which your foot has trodden shall be your inheritance, and your children’s forever, because you have wholly followed the LORD God.
- And now, behold, the LORD has given us rest, as he said;
behold, it is forty-five years since the LORD spoke this word to Moses, while Israel wandered in the wilderness;
and now, lo, I am this day eighty-five years old,
- And today I am as strong as the day when Moses sent me;
as my strength was then, so is my strength now, for war, both to go out and to come in.
- Now therefore give me this mountain, of which the LORD spoke on that day;
for you have heard on that day how the giants were there, and that the cities were great and fortified;
perhaps the LORD will be with me, and I shall destroy them, as the LORD said.
- And Joshua blessed Caleb the son of Jophaniah, and gave him Hebron and its environs as an inheritance.
- Hebron therefore and its environs became the inheritance of Caleb the son of Jophaniah the Kenezite to this day, because he wholly followed the LORD God of Israel.
- And the name of Hebron and its environs before was Koriath-arba, which belonged to the giants.
And the land rested from war.