- ¶ THIS then was the lot of the tribe of the children of Judah by their families;
it extended to the border of Edom, to the wilderness of Zin, to the uttermost of the southern border.
- And their south border was from the southern end of the Salt Sea, and from thence went up to the bay that faces southward;
- And it went out toward the ascent of Akrakam, and passed along to Zin, then went up on the south side of Rakim-gia, and passed along to Hezroth, and went up to Adar, and circled Karka;
- Then it passed along to Azmon, and went out to the river of Egypt;
and the limits of the border were at the sea;
this shall be your south boundary.
- And the east boundary was from the farthest end of the Salt Sea, as far as the mouth of the Jordan.
And the border on the north side was from the bay of the Sea at the mouth of the Jordan;
- And the border went up to Leban, which belongs to the descendants of Reuben,
- And then the border went up toward Debir from the valley of Achar and so northward, turning toward Galilee, which is opposite the slope of Ramin, which is on the south side of the river;
and the border passed toward the En-shemesh, and the limits of the border were at En-dogel;
- And the border went up to the valley of the son of Hinnom to the south side of the Jebusite city, which is Jerusalem;
and the boundary went up to the top of the mountain that lies before the valley of the son of Hinnom westward, which is at the end of the valley of the Giants:
- And the border ran from the top of the mountain to the fountain of the waters of Nephtoah, and thence to the tip of mount Ebron;
then the border ran to Baalah, which is Koriath-narin;
- And the border continued from Baalah westward to mount Seir, and passed along to the side of mount Narim, that is Chesalon, on the north side, and went down to Beth-shemesh, and passed along to the south;
- And the border went out to the side of Ekron northward;
and the border was drawn to Shicron, and passed along to mount Baalah, and went out to Jahbael;
and the limits of the border were at the Great Sea.
- And the west border was extended to the Great Sea, and the coast thereof.
This is the boundary of the descendants of Judah according to their families.
- ¶ And to Caleb the son of Jophaniah Joshua gave a portion among the children of Judah, according to the commandment of the LORD.
And Caleb said to Joshua, Give me this Koriath-arba which belongs to the father of giants;
and Joshua gave to Caleb Koriath-arba, that is, Hebron.
- And Caleb slew there the three descendants of giants, Sheshai and Ahiman and Tholmai, the descendants of the giants.
- And he went up thence against the inhabitants of Debir;
and the name of Debir before was Koriath-sepra.
- And Caleb said, Whoever takes Koriath-sepra and destroys it, to him will I give Achsah my daughter to wife.
- And Othniel the son of Kenaz, the brother of Caleb, took it;
and he gave him Achsah his daughter to wife.
- And it came to pass, when she became his wife, she desired from her father a field as an inheritance;
and she alighted from her ass;
and Caleb said to her, What troubles you, my daughter?
- She said to him, Give me a blessing;
because you have given me a heritage in the south land;
give me also this pool of water.
And Caleb gave her the upper pool and the lower pool.
- ¶ This is the inheritance of the tribe of the descendants of Judah by their families.
- And the uttermost cities of the tribe of the descendants of Judah extended toward the border of Edom southward.
These are the names of the cities of the descendants of Judah: Kabzeel, Eder, Jagur,
- Kinah, Jarmonah, Gadgada,
- Kedesh, Hazor, Nathnin,
- Zib, Atlam, Bealoth,
- Hazor, Hadattah, Koriath-hezron,
- Amam, Ashma, Moladah,
- Hazar-ada, Heshmon, Beth-palet,
- Darath-taaley, Beer-sheba, Beer-jothanah,
- Baalah, Allan, Azem,
- Altlam, Achsin, Hirmah,
- Zinklag, Marmanah, Samsalah,
- Lebaoth, Shaloh, and Airmon, all the cities are thirty-six with their villages;
- And in the valley, Eshtaol, Zedaa, Ashtnah,
- Khokh, En-gahom, Patoh, Eliam,
- Jarmuth, Arlam, Socoh, Azekah,
- Shatin, Azilthaim, Gathar, Geth-ronin;
fifteen cities with their villages;
- Zalan, Harshah, Migdal-gad,
- Dilban, Kaspa, Nakthael,
- Lachish, Ezkat, Eglon,
- Cebshon, Lahmish, Kithlish,
- Gederoth, Beth-dagon, Naamah, Nakdah;
sixteen cities with their villages;
- Libnah, Ether, Naphtah,
- Ashan, Ashia, Zinklag,
- Keilah, Achzib, and Mareshah;
nine cities with their villages;
- Ekron, with its towns and its villages westward;
- And all the land of Ashdod with its villages;
- And Ashdod with its villages and farm lands, Gaza with its towns and farm lands, to the river of Egypt, and the Great Sea, with its coast;
- And in the mountains, Shamir, Jattir, and Socoh,
- Rannah, Koriath-sepra, that is, Debir,
- Ganab, Eshtemoa, Elian,
- Eshian, Holon, and Giloh;
eleven towns with their villages;
- Jab, Romah, Ashan,
- Jalom, Beth-tappuah, Aphekah,
- Humta, Koriath-arba, that is, Hebron, and Zebaon;
nine cities with their villages;
- Maon, Carmel, Zib, Atna,
- Jezreel, Nekemaam, Zaloh,
- Cain, Gibeah, and Timnah;
ten cities with their villages;
- Halhul, Beth-zur, Gedar,
- Maarath, Beth-anoth, and Lath-kin;
six cities with their villages:
- Rabbath, and Koriath-baal, that is, Koriath-narin;
two cities with their villages;
- In the wilderness, Beth-arabah, Midian, Secasah,
- Jashan, Air-mehel, and En-gad;
six cities with their villages.
- As for the Jebusites, the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the descendants of Judah could not destroy them;
so the Jebusites dwell among the descendants of Judah at Jerusalem to this day.