- ¶ O MIGHTY God, see my affliction;
I am chastised by the rod of his wrath.
- He has led me, but I walked in darkness and not in light.
- But surely is he turned against me, he turns his hand against me all the day.
- My flesh and my skin he has made old;
he has broken my bones.
- He has built ramparts against me, and compassed me with bitterness and travail.
- He has made me to dwell in darkness, like a dead man for ever.
- He has hedged me about, that I cannot escape;
he has made my chains heavy.
- Though I beseech and pray, he does not hearken to my prayer.
- He has enclosed my ways with thorns, he has made my paths crooked.
- He has been to me as a wolf lying in wait, and as a lion in secret places.
- He has made my ways crooked, and cut me to pieces;
he has made me desolate.
- He has bent his bow, and set me up as a mark for the arrow.
- Behold, he has caused his arrows to enter into my reins.
- I have become the ridicule of all nations;
and their scoffing song all the day.
- He has filled me with bitterness, he has made me drunken with wormwood.
- He has broken my teeth with a stone, he has covered me with ashes.
- My soul has gone astray from peace, I have forgotten prosperity.
- And I said, My fame and my hope are perished from the LORD.
- Remember my affliction and my chastisement, the bitterness and the sorrow.
- Remember and restore my life.
- ¶ This I recall to mind;
therefore I have hope in God.
- Surely the kindness of the LORD never ceases and his mercies never fail.
- They are new every morning;
great is thy faithfulness.
- The LORD is my portion, says my soul;
therefore I will hope in him.
- The LORD is good to him who waits for him, to the soul that seeks him.
- It is good for a man that he should hope for both the truth and the salvation of the LORD.
- It is good for a man that he bear thy yoke in his youth.
- Let him sit alone and keep silence, because he has laid thy yoke upon him.
- Let him humble himself, for there is hope.
- Let him turn his cheek to him that smites him;
let him be filled with reproach.
- For the LORD will not forget for ever.
- But though he cause affliction, yet he will have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.
- For he does not afflict willingly, but he afflicts the children of the mighty men,
- To subdue under his feet all the prisoners of the earth,
- To turn aside the right of a man toward the face of the Most High.
- To subvert a man in his cause, the LORD does not approve.
- ¶ Who is he that says, and it comes to pass, when the LORD has not commanded it?
- Out of the mouth of the Most High evil and good do not come.
- Therefore, why should a living man question concerning punishment for his sins?
- Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD.
- Let us lift up our hearts with our hands to God in heaven.
- ¶ We have transgressed and rebelled;
and thou hast not pardoned.
- Thou hast covered us with thy anger and pursued us;
thou hast slain, thou hast not pitied.
- Thou hast covered thyself with thy cloud;
thou hast let our prayer pass by.
- Thou hast made us uprooted and despised among the peoples.
- My eyes run down with tears and do not cease, because there is no comforter,
- Till the LORD look down and behold from heaven.
- My eyes are worn with tears because of the destruction of all the daughters of the cities of my people.
- All our enemies speak evil against us.
- Fear and trembling have come upon us, a snare and destruction.
- I wept vehemently over the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- My enemies have hunted me like a bird, without cause.
- They have cut off my life in a pit;
they cast stones at me.
- Water flowed over my head;
then I said, I am cast far off.
- ¶ I called upon thy name, O LORD, out of the depths of the pit.
- Thou didst hear my voice;
turn not thine ear to my cry;
but relieve me and save me.
- Thou didst draw near in the day when I called upon thee;
thou didst say, Fear not.
- O LORD, thou hast pleaded my cause;
thou hast saved my life.
- O LORD, thou hast seen my affliction;
thou hast judged my cause.
- Thou hast seen all their vengeance and all their imaginations against me.
- Thou hast heard their reproach, O LORD, and their devices against me,
- The lips of those who rose up against me and their devices against me all day long.
- Behold their conduct and their behavior I do understand, because of their devices.
- Render to them a recompense, O LORD, according to the work of their hands.
- Give them sorrow of heart;
let thy affliction pursue them.
- Destroy them in thine anger from under thy heavens, O LORD.