- ¶ HOW is the fine gold rejected!
how is the lovely color faded!
the stones of the sanctuary are thrown down at the head of every street.
- The precious sons of Zion, who were better than precious stones, how are they esteemed as earthen pots, the work of the hands of the potter!
- The women uncover their breasts like jackals, they give suck to their young ones;
the daughters of my people have become like wounds that cannot be healed and like ostriches in the wilderness.
- The tongue of the suckling child cleaves to the roof of his mouth for thirst;
the children ask bread, but no one breaks the loaf and gives it to them.
- Those that fed on delicacies are destitute in the streets;
those who were reared in scarlet sleep in dunghills.
- For the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the sin of Sodom, that was overthrown as in a moment and no hands were weary in destroying it.
- Her Nazarites were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk;
their cheeks were more ruddy than rubies, and their form more beautiful than sapphires.
- But now their visage is blacker than charcoal;
they are not recognized in the streets;
their skin is shriveled on their bones;
it has dried up and it has become like a stick.
- Those who were slain by the sword are better than those who are slain with hunger;
for these pine away, like those who are wounded and thrown in the field.
- The hands of compassionate women have cooked their own children;
they were their food in the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- The LORD has accomplished his fury;
he has poured out his fierce anger and has kindled a fire in Zion, and it has devoured the foundations thereof.
- The kings of the earth did not believe, nor all the inhabitants of the world, that the enemy and the oppressor could come and enter into the gates of Jerusalem.
- ¶ It happened for the sins of her prophets and the iniquities of her priests, who have shed in the midst of her the blood of the righteous.
- Her princes wander in her streets, they wallow in blood, so that no one could touch their garments.
- Separate yourselves from them, call them unclean;
depart, depart, do not touch them;
for they have caused provocations and are troubled;
among the Gentiles the people said, They shall no more sojourn there.
- Our eyes have become dull waiting for help;
our watchmen have watched in vain for a nation that could not save.
- The presence of the LORD has divided them;
he will no more regard them;
they did not respect the persons of priests, they did not have compassion on the elders.
- They hunt for the little people and for those who walk in the streets;
our end is near, our days are finished, for our time is come.
- Our pursuers were swifter than the eagles of the air;
they chased us upon the mountains, they laid in wait for us in the wilderness.
- Our very spirit, the anointed of the LORD, was taken in their pits, of whom we had said, Under his shadow we shall live among the Gentiles.
- ¶ Rejoice and be glad, O daughter of Edom that dwells in the land of Uz;
the cup also shall pass to you;
you shall become drunken you shall be harassed.
- Your iniquities have come to an end, O daughter of Zion;
God will no more carry you away into captivity;
but your iniquities will be punished, O daughter of Edom;
your sins are well uncovered.