- ¶ NOW the feast of unleavened bread, which is called the passover, was at hand.
- And the high priests and the scribes sought how to kill him;
but they were afraid of the people.
- But Satan had taken possession of Judah called Iscariot, who was of the number of the twelve.
- So he went away and spoke with the high priests and the scribes and officers of the temple about delivering him to them.
- And they were glad and promised to give him money.
- And he agreed with them, and sought an opportunity to deliver him to them in the absence of the people.
- ¶ Then the day of unleavened bread came, on which it was the custom to kill the passover lamb.
- So Jesus sent Peter and John, and said to them, Go and prepare the passover for us to eat.
- They said to him, Where do you wish us to prepare?
- He said to them, Behold, when you enter the city, you will meet a man carrying a waterskin;
And wherever he enters,
- Say to the master of the house, Our Teacher says, Where is the guest room, where I may eat the passover with my disciples?
- And behold, he will show you an upper room, large and furnished;
there make ready.
- And they went and found it just as he had said to them;
and they prepared the passover.
- And when it was time, Jesus came and sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
- And he said to them, I have greatly desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer;
- For I say to you that henceforth I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
- And he took the cup and gave thanks and said, Take this and divide it among yourselves.
- For I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.
- And he took bread and gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them and said, This is my body, which is given for your sake;
this do in remembrance of me.
- And likewise also he took the cup, after they had eaten supper, and he said, This is the cup of the new covenant in my blood which is shed for you.
- ¶ But behold, the hand of him who is to betray me is on the table.
- And the Son of man will go, just as he has been destined;
but woe to the man by whose hand he will be betrayed!
- And they began to inquire among themselves which one of them was to do this act.
- There was also a dispute among them as to who was the greatest among them.
- Jesus said to them, The kings of the Gentiles are also their lords, and those who rule over them are called benefactors;
- But not so with you;
let him who is great among you be the least, and he who is a leader be like one who serves.
- For who is greater, he who sits down or he who serves?
Is it not he who sits down?
But I am among you as one who serves.
- You are those who have remained with me throughout my trials.
- And I promise you, just as my Father has promised me, a kingdom,
- That you may eat and drink at the table in my kingdom;
and you will sit on seats and judge the twelve tribes of Israel.
- And Jesus said to Simon, Simon, behold, Satan wants to sift all of you like wheat;
- But I have made supplication for you that your faith may not weaken;
and even you in time will repent and strengthen your brethren.
- Simon said to him, My Lord, I am ready with you, even for the prison and for death.
- Jesus said to him, I say to you, Simon, the cock will not crow today until you have denied three times that you know me.
- And he said to them, When I sent you out without purses and without bags and shoes, did you lack anything?
They said to him, Not a thing.
- He said to them, From now on he who has purses, let him take them, and the bag likewise;
and he who has no sword, let him sell his robe and buy for himself a sword.