- ¶ NOW therefore, O priests, this commandment is for you.
- If you will not obey, and if you will not lay it to heart to give glory to my name, says the LORD of hosts, I will send curses upon you, and I will curse your blessings because you have not laid it to your heart.
- Behold, I will rebuke the seed of the ground, and spread dung upon your faces, even dung upon your solemn feasts;
and I will cause you to be taken away with it.
- And you shall know that I have sent this commandment to you, that my covenant might be with Levi, says the LORD of hosts.
- My covenant was with him, and I gave him life and peace;
and as for fear, he feared me and trembled before my name.
- The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips;
he walked with me in peace and uprightness, and he did turn many away from iniquity.
- For the lips of a priest should keep knowledge, because men seek the law from his mouth;
for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.
- But you have turned aside from the way;
you have caused many to stumble at the law;
you have corrupted the covenant of Levi, says the LORD of hosts.
- Therefore have I also made you contemptible and humiliated before all the people, because you have not kept the ordinances, but have been partial in the law.
- ¶ Have we not all one father?
Or has not one God created us?
Why then do we deal treacherously every man against his brother by profaning the covenant of our fathers?
- Judah has dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem;
for Judah has defiled the sanctuary of the LORD of hosts and has loved and served foreign gods.
- The LORD will destroy the man who does this, and also his son and his son’s son out of the tabernacle of Jacob;
and he shall have none to present the offering to the LORD of hosts.
- And this is another thing that you have done: you have covered the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with groaning, because he does not regard your offering any more or accept it with good will at your hands.
- And if you say, For what reason?
Because the LORD was witness between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously though she is your companion and the wife of your covenant.
- Did not he make them one?
And the rest of the spirits are his also.
And therefore a man seeks one offspring from God.
Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
- For the LORD, the God of Israel, says that no one should conceal the iniquity in his robe;
therefore take heed to your spirit, and do not deal treacherously.
- You have wearied the LORD with your words.
And if you say, In what have we wearied him?
In that you say, Every one who does evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delights in such;
or, Where is the God who judges righteous judgments?