- ¶ HEAR now what the LORD says: Arise and judge upon the mountains, and let the hills hear your voice.
- Hear, O you mountains, the judgment of the LORD, listen, O you deep foundations of the earth;
for the LORD will contend with his people, and he will judge Israel;
- O my people, what have I done to you?
Or in what have I grieved you?
Testify against me.
- Have not I brought you up from the land of Egypt, and delivered you from the house of bondage?
And I sent before you Moses, Aaron, and Miriam?
- O my people, remember now what Balak king of Moab purposed against you, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him from Shittim to Gilgal;
for he knew the righteousness of the LORD.
- ¶ With what shall I come before the LORD, and how shall I be pleasing before the high God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, or with calves of a year old?
- The LORD will not be pleased with thousands of rams, nor with ten thousands of heifers;
if I should offer my first-born, it is an iniquity to myself, and the fruit of my body, it is a sin against my soul.
- He has showed you, O man, what is good and what the LORD requires of you, that you shall do justice and love mercy and be ready to walk after the LORD your God.
- ¶ The voice of the LORD cries upon the city, preaching doctrine to those who revere his name;
hear, O tribe, him who testifies against you.
- For there is still fire in the house of the wicked and in the storehouses of iniquity and in the short measure of deceit.
- How can they justify themselves with the wicked scales and with the bag of deceitful weights?
- For the rich men of the land are full of deceit, and its inhabitants speak lies, and their tongue is treacherous in their mouth.
- Therefore I will begin to smite you, and will make you desolate because of your sins.
- You shall eat, but not be satisfied;
and dysentery shall be in the midst of you;
and you shall thresh wheat, but shall not keep it, and that which you retain, I will give up to the sword.
- You shall sow, but you shall not reap;
you shall tread the olives, but you shall not anoint yourselves with oil;
you shall tread grapes but you shall not drink wine.
- For you have kept the statutes of Omri and all the works of the house of Ahab, and you have walked in their counsels;
therefore I have made the land a desolation, and its inhabitants a hissing;
thus you shall bear the reproach of my people.