- ¶ AFTER two days, the passover of unleavened bread was to come;
and the high priests and the scribes were seeking how to seize him by craft and kill him.
- And they said, Not during the feast, for it may cause a riot among the people.
- When he was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, while he reclined, there came a woman who had with her an alabaster vessel of perfume of pure nard, of good quality and very expensive;
and she opened it and poured it upon the head of Jesus.
- But there were some men of the disciples who were displeased within themselves, and said, Why was this perfume wasted?
- For it could have been sold for more than three hundred pennies and given to the poor.
So they were indignant at her.
- Jesus said, Let her alone;
why do you trouble her?
She has done a good deed to me.
- For you always have the poor with you, and when you wish, you can do good to them;
but I am not always with you.
- But this one has done it with what she had;
she anointed my body in advance as for the burial.
- And truly I say to you, Wherever this my gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told as a memorial to her.
- Then Judah of Iscariot, one of the twelve went to the high priests to deliver Jesus to them.
- When they heard it, they were glad, and promised to give him money.
So he sought an opportunity to deliver him.
- ¶ On the first day of unleavened bread, on which the Jews sacrifice the passover, his disciples said to him, Where do you wish that we go and prepare the passover for you to eat?
- And he sent two of his disciples, and said to them, Go to the city, and behold you will meet a man carrying a vessel of water;
- And wherever he enters, say to the owner of the house, Our master says, Where is the guestchamber where I may eat the passover with my disciples?
- And he will show you a large upper room furnished and prepared;
there make ready for us.
- And his disciples went out and came to the city, and they found just as he had told them;
and they prepared the passover.
- And when it was evening, he came with his twelve.
- And when they were reclining and eating, Jesus said, Truly I say to you, One of you who eats with me will betray me.
- They began to feel troubled, and said to him one by one, What!
is it I?
- But he said to them, It is one of the twelve who dips with me in the dish.
- The Son of man will go, as it is written of him;
but woe to the man by whose hand the Son of man is betrayed!
It would have been far better for that man never to have been born.
- While they were eating, Jesus took bread and blessed it, and he broke it and gave it to them, and he said to them, Take it;
this is my body.
- And he took the cup and gave thanks, and he blessed it and gave it to them, and they all drank of it.
- And he said to them, This is my blood of the new covenant which is shed for the sake of many.
- Truly I say to you, I shall not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day in which I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
- And they offered praise, and went out to the mount of Olives.
- Then Jesus said to them, All of you will deny me this night;
for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and his sheep will scatter.
- But when I am risen, I will be in Galilee before you.
- Peter said to him, Even if all of them should desert you, I would not.
- Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you that you, today, in this night, before the cock crows twice, will deny me three times.
- But he kept telling him still more, Even if I must die with you, I will never deny you, O my Lord.
All the disciples said also the same.
- ¶ And they came to a place which is called Gethsemane;
and he said to his disciples, Sit down here, while I pray.
- And he took with him Peter and James and John, and he began to be sorrowful and depressed.
- And he said to them, My soul is sorrowful even to death;
wait for me and keep awake.
- And he went aside a little and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass away from him.
- And he said, Abba, Ave, O Father, my Father, thou canst do everything;
make this cup pass away from me;
but not according to my will, but thine.
- And he came and found them sleeping, and he said to Peter, Simon, are you sleeping?
Could you not keep awake even for one hour?
- Wake and pray that you may not enter into temptation;
the spirit indeed is willing and ready, but the body is weak.
- He went away again and prayed, and he said the same words.
- And he returned again, and found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy;
and they did not know what to say to him.
- Then he came the third time, and said to them, From now on sleep and get rest;
the end has arrived and the hour has come;
and behold, the Son of man will be delivered into the hands of sinners.
- Arise, let us go;
behold, he who is to deliver me is near.
- ¶ While he was speaking, Judah of Iscariot, one of the twelve, and many other people, came with swords and staves, from the high priests and the scribes and the elders.
- And the traitor who was to do the delivering gave them a sign, and he said, He whom I kiss is the one;
seize him carefully, and take him away.