- ¶ WHEN the sabbath had passed, Mary of Magdala, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, that they might come and anoint him.
- Early in the morning, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb as the sun was just rising.
- And they said among themselves, Who will roll away the stone from the door of the tomb for us?
- And they looked and saw that the stone was rolled away, for it was very large.
- And they entered the tomb, and saw a young man, sitting on the right, covered with a white robe;
and they were astonished.
- But he said to them, Do not be afraid.
You seek Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified;
he has risen;
he is not here;
behold the place where he was laid.
- But go away and tell his disciples, and Peter, that he will be before you in Galilee;
there you will see him, just as he has told you.
- And when they heard it, they fled and went out of the tomb, for they were seized with amazement and trembling;
and they said nothing to any man, for they were frightened.
- ¶ Now he rose early on the first day of the week, and appeared first to Mary of Magdala, from whom he had cast seven demons.
- And she went and brought glad tidings to those who were with him, who now were mourning and weeping.
- And when they heard them saying that he was alive, and had appeared to them, they did not believe them.
- After these things he appeared to two of them in another manner, as they were walking and going to a village.
- And they went and told the rest;
but they did not believe them also.
- ¶ At last he appeared to the eleven while they were reclining, and he upbraided them for their little faith and the dullness of their hearts, because they had not believed those who saw him risen.
- And he said to them, Go into all the world and preach my gospel to the whole creation.
- He who believes and is baptized shall be saved;
and he who does not believe shall be condemned.
- And wonders will follow those who believe these things.
In my name they will cast out demons;
and they will speak with new tongues;
- And they will handle snakes;
and if they should drink any poison of death, it will not harm them;
and they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will be healed.
- ¶ Then our Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, ascended to heaven and sat on the right hand of God.
- And they went out and preached in every place;
and our Lord helped them and strengthened their words by the miracles which they performed.